Secant line in Fermat's Theorem

In summary, the property mentioned in the conversation is a general property of limits and can be derived from the epsilon-delta definition of limit.
Bipolarity
I'm trying to understand something in Fermat's Theorem. I can't really phrase it in words, but I will write what my textbook says.

Apparently if

[tex] \lim_{x→c}\frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c} > 0 [/tex]

then there exists an open interval (a,b) containing c such that

[tex] \frac{f(x)-f(c)}{x-c} > 0 [/tex] for all c in that interval.

How does this follow from the definition of the derivative?

I appreciate all help.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a general property of limits. If$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow c}g(x) = L > 0$$then there is an open interval ##I## containing ##c## on which ##g(x)>0##. It comes directly from the ##\epsilon - \delta## definition of limit.

What is a secant line in Fermat's Theorem?

A secant line in Fermat's Theorem is a line that intersects a curve at two points. It is used to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point, and can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

How is a secant line used in Fermat's Theorem?

In Fermat's Theorem, a secant line is used to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point by connecting two points on the curve and finding the slope of the line connecting them. This can then be used to find the maximum or minimum value of the function at that point.

Can a secant line be used to find the exact slope of a curve?

No, a secant line can only provide an approximation of the slope of a curve at a specific point. To find the exact slope, the concept of a tangent line must be used, where the line only touches the curve at one point.

What is the difference between a secant line and a tangent line?

A secant line intersects a curve at two points, while a tangent line only touches the curve at one point. Additionally, a secant line is used to approximate the slope of a curve, while a tangent line is used to find the exact slope at a specific point.

Can a secant line be used to find the maximum or minimum value of any function?

Yes, a secant line can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of any continuous function, as long as the function has a maximum or minimum point within the two points used to create the secant line.