Is a Function Funny When Its Secant is Less Than a Certain Number?

• I
  • Thread starter spacey__
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a "funny" function, which is a function that meets a certain condition involving a fixed positive number and an interval. The question asks about the use of the term "arbitrarily" and clarifies that the definition means there exists a c value for which the function is funny. The conversation also mentions that only constant functions are funny for all c values.
spacey__
The definition
Let a, b be any two real numbers
Let c > 0
We define a function f to be funny iff
For all x, y belonging to [a,b], |f (x) - f (y)| ≤ c |x - y|

Question
Let a < b (arbitrarily)
Let c > 0
Assume function g is funny on [a, b]
Let x, y ∈ [a, b]
Therefore, |g (x) - g (y)| ≤ c |x - y|
= > |g (x) - g (y)| / |x-y| ≤ c

I'm confused at this part because c is arbitrary. Does the original definition mean that a function is funny for all c > 0 or for some c > 0? And if it is for some c > 0, what is the statement saying about the function? Is it just stating that the secant of the function is less than equal to some positive number? Can there be a function that is not funny if this is the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
spacey__ said:
The definition
Let c > 0

Question
Let a < b (arbitrarily)
Let c > 0
Let x, y ∈ [a, b]
Therefore, |g (x) - g (y)| ≤ c |x - y|
= > |g (x) - g (y)| / |x-y| ≤ c

I'm confused at this part because c is arbitrary. Does the original definition mean that a function is funny for all c > 0 or for some c > 0? And if it is for some c > 0, what is the statement saying about the function? Is it just stating that the secant of the function is less than equal to some positive number? Can there be a function that is not funny if this is the case?

For a fixed c. This property is also called Lipschitz-continuity.

Only constant functions are funny for all c (exercise).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes spacey__
spacey__ said:
The definition
Let c > 0
As I interpret the above definition, "funny" is a boolean-valued function with four parameters: a, b, c and f.
spacey__ said:
Question
Let a < b (arbitrarily)
Let c > 0
The usage here suggests that "funny" is to be viewed as family of functions. A member of the family is selected based on a fixed level of funniness (c) and a fixed interval over which it is applied ([a,b]). Then that family member decides which functions are funny (at level c on interval [a,b]) and which are not.

Likes spacey__
The fact that the problem uses the word "funny" would make me leery or the whole thing! Yes, that definition should say "there exist c such that ---".

HallsofIvy said:
The fact that the problem uses the word "funny" would make me leery or the whole thing! Yes, that definition should say "there exist c such that ---".

Although I think this is purposeful since the actual question wanted to prove integrability of f. Changing the quantifier to a for all in the Lipschitz definition I guess is just another way to say that a function is constant.

Nevermind, this is correct but the question I had before is not saying that.

Last edited:

1. Is there a specific value for the secant that makes a function funny?

Yes, there can be a specific value for the secant that makes a function funny. It depends on the function and its behavior.

2. Can a function be funny if its secant is less than a certain number at multiple points?

Yes, a function can be funny if its secant is less than a certain number at multiple points. This can create a pattern or unexpected behavior in the function.

3. How does the value of the secant affect the overall humor of a function?

The value of the secant can greatly impact the humor of a function. A small or negative secant can create unexpected and humorous behavior, while a large secant may not have the same effect.

4. Are there any real-life examples of functions being funny when their secant is less than a certain number?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of functions being funny when their secant is less than a certain number. One example is a rollercoaster, where the secant (slope of the track) can create unexpected drops or turns that can be humorous to riders.

5. Can a function be considered funny if its secant is less than a certain number, but only for a limited range of inputs?

Yes, a function can still be considered funny if its secant is less than a certain number for a limited range of inputs. This can create a specific and targeted humor within the function's overall behavior.