Help with lens selection and arrangement for maginification

• Thread starter bradg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, the conversation is about creating a periscope-like device that is 100MM in length and 5mm in diameter. The viewing end can be wider for an eyepiece, but the other end needs to remain 5mm to fit into a cavity. The device will be used for inspection and the person is trying to determine what lenses would be needed for magnification and a 45 degree angle mirror. They have a basic understanding of focal lengths and are looking for additional resources to help figure out the design.
bradg
Hi guys. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to make a device like a periscope which is 100MM in length but has a diameter of 5mm. the viewing end of the periscope can be much wider to accommodate an eye optic, but the other end does need to retain the diameter of 5mm as it will be inserted into a cavity.

This will be used to inspect an area of around 250mm square, but id like to see this clearly

I am trying to work out which lenses would be needed for this, as it would be safe to assume that a convex lens would be needed for magnification, then perhaps a 45 degree angled mirror before then passing through another convex lens, unless concave would give a better field of view (dont think so?)

As you can tell i don't know a lot about lenses, other than a basic understanding of focal lengths with regards to CCTV lenses - presuming the same would be applied with the first lense being placed from the view finder. I am doing a lot of guess work here trying to figure this out, and if there are any white papers, articles or your two cents worth you wouldn't mind sharing with me to help me figure this out, it would be gretly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
google "periscope construction"

1. What is the purpose of lens selection and arrangement for magnification?

The purpose of lens selection and arrangement for magnification is to enhance the size and clarity of an object that is being viewed through a microscope or other optical instrument.

2. How do I choose the right lenses for magnification?

The choice of lenses for magnification depends on the desired level of magnification and the type of microscope or instrument being used. Generally, a combination of objective lenses with varying magnification powers and an eyepiece lens are used for optimal magnification.

3. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

A convex lens is thicker at the center and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and resulting in magnification. A concave lens is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and resulting in a smaller image.

4. How does the arrangement of lenses affect magnification?

The arrangement of lenses affects magnification by determining the total magnification power. The objective lens, which is closer to the object being viewed, provides the primary magnification, while the eyepiece lens further magnifies the image. The distance between the lenses can also affect the level of magnification.

5. Are there any specific techniques for arranging lenses for magnification?

Yes, there are various techniques for arranging lenses for magnification, such as using a compound microscope with a series of lenses, or using a simple magnifying glass with a single lens. The key is to ensure that the lenses are aligned and focused properly to achieve the desired level of magnification.