Calculating Chromatic Aberration

In summary, the speaker used the concept of convex lenses to solve for the focal lengths of red and blue light on the optical axis. However, their calculations did not result in the correct answer. They also express uncertainty about subtracting the radii of curvature correctly. After further consideration, the speaker was able to solve the problem.
ab200
Homework Statement
The dependence of glass's index of refraction on wavelength causes imperfect images. A parallel beam of white light falls on a convex glass lens. Both surfaces of the lens have a 20 cm radius of curvature. For the glass, nred = 1.52 and nblue = 1.53.

What is the space between the points that red light and blue light focus on the optical axis, in cm?
Relevant Equations
(1/s) + (1/s') = 1/f = (n-1)[(1/R1) - (1/R2)]
Since the lens is convex, I figured that the points where the red and blue light focus on the optical axis would be equal to their respective focal lengths (f), given that the incoming rays are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the lens.

Solving this got me to 1/fred = (1.52 - 1)[(1/20) + (1/20)] = 0.013, so fred = 76.923 cm.
1/fblue = (1.53 - 1)[(1/20) + (1/20)] = 0.01325, so fblue = 75.472 cm.
Subtracting the two gives me 1.451 cm, but that isn't correct.

What I'm not sure about is whether I am subtracting R1 and R2 correctly. Both surfaces have the same radius of curvature, but I can't simply subtract them or I would end up with 0 on the right side of the equation, which doesn't make sense.

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/introductory-physics-homework-help.153/post-thread

Physics news on Phys.org
ab200 said:
(1.52 - 1)[(1/20) + (1/20)] = 0.013,
Really?

haruspex said:
Really?
Alas, it is not. I figure it out though! Thank you for your help.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is chromatic aberration?

Chromatic aberration is an optical phenomenon that causes colors to appear distorted or blurred in an image. It occurs when different wavelengths of light are refracted at different angles by a lens, resulting in a mismatch of focal points for different colors.

2. How is chromatic aberration calculated?

Chromatic aberration can be calculated using the formula: CA = (nF - nC) / nC, where CA is the chromatic aberration, nF is the refractive index of the lens for blue light, and nC is the refractive index of the lens for red light.

3. What factors affect chromatic aberration?

The main factors that affect chromatic aberration include the design and quality of the lens, the angle of incidence of light, and the wavelength of light. Higher quality lenses with low dispersion materials and precise design can help reduce chromatic aberration.

4. How does chromatic aberration impact image quality?

Chromatic aberration can cause images to appear blurry, especially at the edges, and can also result in color fringing or halos around objects. This can significantly impact image quality, making it important to correct for chromatic aberration in optical systems.

5. How can chromatic aberration be corrected?

There are several methods for correcting chromatic aberration, including using achromatic or apochromatic lenses, using multiple lenses with different dispersion properties, and using software to correct for chromatic aberration in post-processing. Additionally, choosing a lens with a larger aperture can also help reduce chromatic aberration.