Calculating the expectation of a quantity using wavefunctions

by failexam
Tags: expectation, quantity, wavefunctions
failexam
Mar9-12, 05:17 AM
P: 338
I am reading the fine structure article from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_structure.

Under the heading 'Kinetic energy relativistic correction', we have the following:

For the hydrogen atom, V = e2/r. This implies that the expectation of V = -e2/a0n2.

Now, I know that you use the unperturbed wavefunction ψ0 to find the expectation of V, but I am not sure of the exact form of ψ0. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
failexam
Mar9-12, 05:18 AM
P: 338
I need the form as I want to calculate the expectation myself. Is there a general formula for the wavefunction?
dextercioby
Mar9-12, 08:55 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
Usually the expectation value is computed with the ground state wavefunction. You can find the n=1, l=0, m=0 wavefunction in any book on QM.

Register to reply