Register to reply

Converting noise into electrical energy

by kthouz
Tags: convert, electric, energy, noise, piezo
Share this thread:
Mahipat Singh
Mar9-12, 01:30 AM
P: 6
Sound has waves and it needs to collect in the machine or instrument like a room where we can get lot of noise from outside. If this process we can keep than it will become mini electric power station and sound/noises pollution will reduce.

But little bit experiments are happening in world, the exact results are awaiting or taking time !

As i wrote my formula : E=V (electric energy = sound energy), this energy we can transfer one place to other place without wire.
sophiecentaur
Mar9-12, 04:58 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,919
Quote Quote by Mahipat Singh View Post
we can get lot of noise from outside.
Absolutely right. The question is HOW MUCH energy?
If someone tells you they have opened a business which earns them money, you would be impressed it it involved Ģ10,000 per week but not so impressed with 10p a week. It's the same with these free energy sources. No one has demonstrated any significant AMOUNT of energy around us because there isn't any more than we can hear. That wouldn't raise a flicker in a small LED.
Mahipat Singh
Mar9-12, 05:55 AM
Hello, Sir,

thanks to your reply,

I am searching someone who can work on WI-FI electric transmission generated from "Sound Waves" for routine work purpose ?

Like we are getting heat from Sun Rays.
sophiecentaur
Mar9-12, 06:06 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Hello, Sir,

thanks to your reply,

I am searching someone who can work on WI-FI electric transmission generated from "Sound Waves" for routine work purpose ?

Like we are getting heat from Sun Rays.
It is well known that we receive around 1kW from the Sun on every metre square of the Earth's surface. This means that we have a viable source of 'free energy' (pretty much the Only Energy source the Earth ever had).
The sums tell us that solar energy is viable and it is. The sums tell us that there is NOT enough energy in the form you describe. If you have aspirations of ever becoming a 'real' Scientist or Engineer then you must acknowledge that the Actual Values are at least as important as the arm-waving general principles. Adjectives are not enough in arguments like this. You don't run a motor on adjectives - it needs real power.

You seem to be combining two concepts here - Free Energy from background sound and Wireless power transmission. Neither of these is very well established. Perhaps you should look at one at a time.
Mahipat Singh
Mar10-12, 04:14 AM
Hello, anyone can tell me now what are the frequencies of sound in environment ?

If there are varying sound in diff. frequencies, than we are capable to collect and re-use it by help of machine.
sophiecentaur
Mar10-12, 12:06 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Hello, anyone can tell me now what are the frequencies of sound in environment ?

If there are varying sound in diff. frequencies, than we are capable to collect and re-use it by help of machine.
Have you actually read any of this thread?
How much energy do you need? How much is available? Which number is greater? That is the answer to your question.
I really hope that you don't approach your personal finances in the same way that you are looking at this 'free energy idea'.
gani11vlr
Mar13-12, 08:11 AM
P: 1
ya....it is possible......but i think small amount of electricity is produced.....but it is applicable for cell phones.....used for charging while talking........every particle is disturbed by a force...our sound signals disturb the particles...due to vibration of atoms....electrons are moved....under this condition we can able to produce electricity.....
maimonides
Mar13-12, 09:39 AM
P: 128
Well, if you know it can be done:
donīt talk, DO IT!
You can buy noise powered electric generators for little money. They are called dynamic microphones. (Or you might use a loudspeaker, works just the same or even better: more area, more energy.) Get one, connect your phone to it and wait for "fully charged".
Or try to power a 1ma LED first and then go bigger/optimize.
Have fun with it.
sophiecentaur
Mar13-12, 09:42 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You really should try to get real about this idea. There is only enough power in your voice to move the microphone transducer. This is followed by am amplifier which needs a POWER SUPPLY. Where's your free energy?
Afaik, the only device ever used which was powered by speech was the old wax cylinder recorder. Shouting at it would produce enough mechanical vibration to record a pattern in the soft wax. You still had to turn the cylinder with added power.
If you are not prepared to include figures in your argument, your opinion has no weight
satheeshg89
Mar25-12, 04:50 AM
P: 2
Thanks for helping with my ideas. here i do have some suggestion of using a transducer which can convert any form of energy into electrical energy. though the 2nd law of thermodynamics prevent us by using the sound energy as an electrical energy here comes a device sonea. dn y dnt we try for another device which would be a combination of both sonea and transducer.
plz do mail me @ satheeshg89@gmail.com. i think if we all work hard with a cordination our project will be a successfull one.

i suggest every member who work for it to share their details for a combined work
sophiecentaur
Mar25-12, 05:13 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You still don't seem to be getting the basic flaw in what you are saying. There are many transducers that produce electrical energy from sound. The fact is that there is NOT ENOUGH ENERGY available to make it worth while. Stand and listen. Does the sound around you knock you off your feet or even make leaves tremble? If there isn't sufficient energy for this then there isn't enough to produce a useful amount of electrical Power.
You are not suggesting anything New. You are just revisiting something that has already been considered and discarded with good reason.
sophiecentaur
Mar25-12, 04:39 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by satheeshg89 View Post
Thanks for helping with my ideas. here i do have some suggestion of using a transducer which can convert any form of energy into electrical energy. though the 2nd law of thermodynamics prevent us by using the sound energy as an electrical energy here comes a device sonea. dn y dnt we try for another device which would be a combination of both sonea and transducer.
plz do mail me @ satheeshg89@gmail.com. i think if we all work hard with a cordination our project will be a successfull one.

i suggest every member who work for it to share their details for a combined work
With respect, why can you not have the courtesy to use proper spelling? There is no limit to the number of characters allowed on this site and much of what you write is unintelligible. You are not just talking amongst your friends on this forum. If you look at what other people write, you will see that they, mostly go to some trouble to write properly and in full.

What are you actually talking about?
Khashishi
Mar26-12, 11:51 AM
P: 886
Sorry, there's prior art on this one. I saw some people working on something like this in some energy conference at MIT Museum of Science. They were hoping to power some small lights in a tunnel off of traffic noise, I think.
sophiecentaur
Mar27-12, 03:46 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Did they get any joy?
In very confined spaces there might be some energy available but I'd bet the noise level would have precluded any humans being comfortable in there. I reckon they'd have more joy from a wind turbine, using the draft from the passing vehicles.

In those extreme conditions there could possibly be some usable energy but I thing the OP was hopeful that the sound level in one's living room could, somehow, charge a mobile phone. The energy return (harvest) would normally be of much less value than the saving of energy by using more efficient machinery in the first place.
Bobbywhy
Mar27-12, 04:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,881
The use of piezoelectric materials to harvest power has already become popular. Piezoelectric materials have the ability to transform mechanical strain energy into electrical charge. Piezo elements are being embedded in walkways to recover the "people energy" of footsteps. They can also be embedded in shoes to recover "walking energy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_harvesting

Notice the above systems use mechanical strain energy to generate electrical power in small amounts. NO WAY acoustic waves could be used for appreciable power...listen to sophiecentaur and do the math.
sophiecentaur
Mar27-12, 05:41 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I could imagine an energy harvesting system based on a Methane fuel cell which could make use of the 'human products of digestion'. Particulaly useful in lifts and submarines where it could help with the 'ambience'.
satheeshg89
Mar27-12, 12:54 PM
P: 2
with respect to your reply based on usage of methane fuel cell , on direct oxidation of hydrocarbons which result in methane fuel cell there is a problem of inhibit methane cracking. so to avoid this can you suggest some ideas.
sophiecentaur
Mar27-12, 01:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
OH well. (I'm not a Chemist) That idea is at least as viable as using the sound levels in your front room as an energy source.

Register to reply