How does your Garden grow?

by Astronuc
Tags: evo, garden, gardening, grow
Evo
Mar13-12, 06:41 PM
Mentor
P: 25,911
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Maybe she figured that were natural flowers in the wild, or that you had so many you wouldn't mind if she took a few.
Yes, suddenly she was no longer in a neighborhood, but in a mountain meadow.
Borg
Mar13-12, 06:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 727
Maybe she figured that were natural flowers in the wild, or that you had so many you wouldn't mind if she took a few.
They were daffodils planted around a tree next to our yard. They took them all.
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Yes, suddenly she was no longer in a neighborhood, but in a mountain meadow.
You're killing me, Evo. You obviously have some strong feelings about flowers.
turbo
Mar13-12, 06:42 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
OK, that's way over the line.
Evo
Mar13-12, 06:46 PM
Mentor
So what was their response? Did they offer to pay you? Daffodils bloom once a year. I say cut to the quick, break their kneecaps.

One year I decided to plant dafodils, tulips. and hyacinths. I spent days digging up and de-clodding a bed all around the front of the house. I added new soil, conditioners and bone meal, I paid a fortune for imported bulbs. I finally got it all planted and put a little fence border around them.

One day before they were about to come up, I went outside and the neighbor's mutt was loose again and had dug up and chewed every last bulb, well, except the last one he was still chewing. These people were just totally clueless. If they hadn't come up yet, what damage did he do?
Borg
Mar13-12, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
So what was their response? Did they offer to pay you? Daffodils bloom once a year. I say cut to the quick, break their kneecaps.
I did too much of that in my younger days. I try to turn the other cheek now.
Astronuc
Mar13-12, 06:52 PM
Admin
P: 21,625
They were daffodils planted around a tree next to our yard. They took them all.[
Hmmmm.

You're killing me, Evo. You obviously have some strong feelings about flowers.
Just don't pick her peppers!
Evo
Mar13-12, 06:56 PM
Mentor
AARGGH, I was editing my post and someone messed it up!

I went to the dentist and I am in pain. And part of my face isn't moving. And I'm allergic to my hypo-allergenic eye makeup and my eyes are swollen and burning.
Borg
Mar13-12, 07:02 PM
PF Gold
This was fun. Thanks for the support. I've got to go though - my wife has two feet that she claims are in desperate need of a massage. Hope you're feeling better soon again Evo.
rhody
Mar13-12, 07:40 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Hmmmm.

Just don't pick her peppers!
Oh God, Astro, wouldn't that be a hoot, grow a monster trinidad scorpion tantalizingly close to the street, property line. I can just imagine what some poor unsuspecting soul would do when they took a good bite out of one of those suckers. Oh, the pain, building and building for ten minutes. Ok, I am having way too much fun here and only semi-serious.

Rhody...
dlgoff
Mar13-12, 09:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,631
One year I decided to plant dafodils, tulips. and hyacinths. I spent days digging up and de-clodding a bed all around the front of the house. I added new soil, conditioners and bone meal, I paid a fortune for imported bulbs. I finally got it all planted and put a little fence border around them.

One day before they were about to come up, I went outside and the neighbor's mutt was loose again and had dug up and chewed every last bulb, well, except the last one he was still chewing. These people were just totally clueless. If they hadn't come up yet, what damage did he do?
Dang Evo. This happened to me, albeit it was one of my X's who managed to get a couple hundred dollars worth of bulbs dug up and gone while I was at work.
Borg
Mar16-12, 04:09 PM
PF Gold
Grandma and granddaughter just rang my doorbell and dropped off some new daffodils. Apparently the little girl was the guilty party. It was pretty funny seeing her hide behind the fence while she apologized.
Evo
Mar16-12, 04:32 PM
Mentor
Grandma and granddaughter just rang my doorbell and dropped off some new daffodils. Apparently the little girl was the guilty party. It was pretty funny seeing her hide behind the fence while she apologized.
Good, I'm glad to hear that some people still do the right thing. Maybe there is hope.
Borg
Mar16-12, 05:27 PM
PF Gold
Good, I'm glad to hear that some people still do the right thing. Maybe there is hope.
It definitely warmed my heart.
turbo
Mar16-12, 06:12 PM
PF Gold
Daffodils are tough! One of my neighbors claims that they have to be allowed to blossom and put out greens every year, or the bulbs will not be able to survive. Tell that to the border of the daffodils on the north end of my garden that I mow every year with my John Deere, and which come back every year without fail. There are others planted nearer the road (and subjected to road-salt and other stresses) that flower every year. Some flowering plants are pretty tough.
rhody
Mar29-12, 11:17 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
It definitely warmed my heart.
What a sweet evil little child... hehe...

Rhody... I know, I know, stop poking threads that should fade naturally, sorry, I couldn't resist.
turbo
Mar29-12, 11:48 AM
PF Gold
I have a saw-whet owl in the woods on the other side of my back-yard pond. He's been calling regularly, looking for a mate. Very monotonous call that sounds like back-up alarm on heavy equipment. They are tiny, but can kill lots of mice and voles, especially when their chicks hatch and need to be fed. Luckily, there are a lot of pileated woodpeckers up here, so nest-holes in trees are plentiful.
Monique
Apr30-12, 10:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
This is slightly unrelated to the thread, since I'm not growing hot stuff, but instead sweet stuff: peaches. Since there's a lot of talk about growing plants in this thread, I thought it would be the best place to get a word of advice.

I have this bonsai peach tree on my roof terrace, which has already flowered (early March) but since then it's been 1) hot and 2) cold (in that order). The leaves look really weird: like they've melted (see the picture). Is this caused by a sunburn or cold it be frost damage? I'm wondering whether I should move it to a more shaded area, which won't be easy on the terrace.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03152.jpg  
Evo
Apr30-12, 11:25 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
This is slightly unrelated to the thread, since I'm not growing hot stuff, but instead sweet stuff: peaches. Since there's a lot of talk about growing plants in this thread, I thought it would be the best place to get a word of advice.

I have this bonsai peach tree on my roof terrace, which has already flowered (early March) but since then it's been 1) hot and 2) cold (in that order). The leaves look really weird: like they've melted (see the picture). Is this caused by a sunburn or cold it be frost damage? I'm wondering whether I should move it to a more shaded area, which won't be easy on the terrace.
It's a fungus called peach leaf curl, my peach tree had it too. Unfortunately you can only treat it at the end of the growing season. My tree did fine the following year.

http://www.umass.edu/fruitadvisor/fa...curl_sheet.htm

http://farmerfredrant.blogspot.com/2...leaf-curl.html

Register to reply