Burst test calculation help

However, it would be best to consult with an expert or reference material to ensure accuracy. In summary, the conversation discusses the need for calculations to determine the safety of a burst test chamber. The individual provides their current numbers and asks for additional information to determine the necessary thickness of a stainless steel plate. They suggest calculating the force of the object and using the equation P=F/A to determine the required area and thickness of the plate, but recommend consulting an expert or reference material for accuracy.
HaaJeHaa
Not really a homework question, but it could be. Working on making a burst test chamber and need some calculations that says it is safe enough. Sorry for my poor english, it's not my first language.

Homework Statement

The setup: First a brass fitting would be fitted inside a chamber, and then pressurize until burst. I would like to know how much stress the bursting object gives to the surface of the chamber.

My current numbers:
Fitting weight: 202grams.
Pressure: 150bar (=15000kPa)
Diameter inside the pressurehose: 15.23mm
Length to nearest surface: 5cm
Length to bottom of chamber: 15cm

Do I/you need more numbers?

How thick stainless steel plate will I need so the 202gram object pressurized at 150bar won't give dents?

Thank you!

Homework Equations

P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
you could calculate the force of the object, which is equal to the weight (202g) times the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the force, which you can then use in the equation P=F/A to calculate the required area for the pressure. You can then calculate the necessary thickness of the plate using the area.

What is a burst test calculation and why is it important?

A burst test calculation is a method used to determine the maximum pressure that a material or product can withstand before breaking or bursting. It is important because it helps ensure the safety and quality of products, as well as helps in the design and development process.

What factors are involved in a burst test calculation?

The factors involved in a burst test calculation include the type of material, its thickness, the shape and size of the product, and the testing equipment used.

How is a burst test calculation performed?

A burst test calculation is typically performed by applying pressure to a sample of the material or product until it bursts. The pressure is gradually increased until the burst occurs, and then the maximum pressure is recorded.

What units are used in burst test calculations?

The units used in burst test calculations may vary depending on the industry and country, but they are typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

Are there any standards or regulations for burst test calculations?

Yes, there are various standards and regulations set by organizations such as ASTM, ISO, and ANSI that provide guidelines for performing burst test calculations and interpreting the results. These standards help ensure consistency and accuracy in testing procedures.