How to calculate the flat plate thickness to withstand25kpsi

In summary, the conversation is discussing the construction of a hydrotesting chamber and the need for a steel plate to serve as a shield wall. The plate needs to be able to withstand a pressure of 25,000 psi without deforming. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the necessary thickness of the plate, but mentions the use of thin and thick cylinders and a document with equations for thick-walled cylinders.
syed ali
we are building a hydrotesting chamber, the steel plate will be a sheild wall.
if something goes wrong in pressure testing the steel plate should withstand the pressure without deforming, i am stuck in how to calculate the thickness applicable to withstand it.
hydrotesting pressure is 25,000 psi , need a formula to calculate this.
example if a 20inch material pipe,union,bolt etc, comes direct contact with the plate how much thickness should it be to hold it without leaving the chamber.plate details are below.
steel grade : SPHC
width(mm) : 1219 -flat plate
yield strngth: 249
uts : 346
pressure : 25,000psi
holding period : aprrox. 10 min in 2 stages
how to calculate what thickness of plate should be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
syed ali said:
we are building a hydrotesting chamber, the steel plate will be a sheild wall.
if something goes wrong in pressure testing the steel plate should withstand the pressure without deforming, i am stuck in how to calculate the thickness applicable to withstand it.
hydrotesting pressure is 25,000 psi , need a formula to calculate this.
example if a 20inch material pipe,union,bolt etc, comes direct contact with the plate how much thickness should it be to hold it without leaving the chamber.plate details are below.
steel grade : SPHC
width(mm) : 1219 -flat plate
yield
arrow-10x10.png
strngth: 249
uts : 346
pressure : 25,000psi
holding period : aprrox. 10 min in 2 stages
how to calculate what thickness of plate should be used.
I think the concept of thin cylinders and thick cylinders needs to be applied(I might be wrong-not sure just a guess). So we should first decide which type of cylinder we want to use.
And specifically if it's an thick walled cylinder. Then permissible stress condition and equations are given here : http://courses.washington.edu/me354a/Thick Walled Cylinders.pdf

1. What is the formula for calculating flat plate thickness to withstand 25kpsi?

The formula for calculating the flat plate thickness to withstand 25kpsi is t = P * r / (2 * S * F), where t is the plate thickness, P is the applied pressure, r is the plate radius, S is the material's stress value, and F is the safety factor.

2. How do I determine the stress value (S) for a specific material?

The stress value (S) for a material can be found in engineering handbooks or online resources. It is typically listed as the maximum allowable stress for a specific material under a certain condition, such as temperature and loading type.

3. What is the safety factor (F) and how do I choose the appropriate one?

The safety factor (F) is a multiplier used to account for uncertainties in the design and ensure the structural integrity of the plate. It is typically determined based on the level of risk associated with the application and can range from 1.5 to 4. The appropriate safety factor should be chosen based on industry standards and the specific requirements of the project.

4. Can I use the same formula for all types of flat plates?

The formula for calculating flat plate thickness to withstand 25kpsi is based on the assumption of a circular plate with evenly distributed pressure. It may not be suitable for other types of plates, such as rectangular or irregularly shaped plates. In these cases, a different formula or approach may be required.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating the flat plate thickness?

In addition to the applied pressure, material stress value, and safety factor, other factors that may need to be considered include material properties, plate geometry, and boundary conditions. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer and consider all relevant factors to ensure an accurate and safe calculation of the flat plate thickness.