Register to reply

Is charge conserved in positron emission?

by Bipolarity
Tags: charge, conserved, emission, positron
Share this thread:
Bipolarity
Mar13-12, 10:11 PM
P: 783
Consider the reaction:

[itex] ^{39}_{20}Ca \rightarrow ^{39}_{19}K + \beta^{+} [/itex]

I understand that a proton in the Calcium nucleus is being split into a neutron, which stays in the nucleus, and a positron, which gets ejected.

But if you look at the equation above, charge is not conserved. The only thing I can think of doing to balance is to consider the potassium product as a negative ion, but that makes no sense to me?

Or perhaps I am missing something. Or perhaps it has something to do with the number of electrons in play.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BiP
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Marine pest provides advances in maritime anti-fouling and biomedicine
Nature inspires a greener way to make colorful plastics
New catalyst converts carbon dioxide to fuel
Borek
Mar14-12, 03:16 AM
Admin
P: 23,397
Charge is conserved always. Equation is just not complete, but when writing nuclear reaction we don't pay much attention to such things, we concentrate on what is important from the point of view of the nucleus (this is not a chemical reaction). Once the positron is emitted you end with an excess electron in the atom shells. Later this electron will look for a better place for itself, which usually means traveling to some other atom/ion whatever.
Bipolarity
Mar14-12, 03:50 PM
P: 783
I see! Thanks Borek!
So techniclly, the potassium is actually an anion but we don't really care about that charge in nuclear reactions since the electron will quickly move somewhere else right?

BiP

Borek
Mar14-12, 04:09 PM
Admin
P: 23,397
Is charge conserved in positron emission?

More or less.

Depending on the nuclear reaction it may happen that nucleus (or several) lands in a different place it originally was (think fission). They move independently from the electrons generating a mess on their way (there is a reason why we call some forms of radiation ionizing).

Register to reply