Register to reply

Fread() C function

by Adyssa
Tags: fread, function
Share this thread:
Adyssa
Mar16-12, 06:18 AM
P: 188
I'm reading a binary file with fread, and I'm getting some strange results. This is from the man page:

size_t fread(void *ptr, size_t size, size_t nmemb, FILE *stream);

The function fread() reads nmemb elements of data, each size bytes long, from the stream pointed to by stream, storing them at the location given by ptr.

I understand it to read (nmemb * size) bytes from the file and I'm trying to use it like this:

fread(record_array, num_records, sizeof(record), myfile)

and I'm expecting to read (num_records * sizeof(record)) bytes, call it 10 * 50 = 500.

However, when I do this, it only reads sizeof(record) (50) bytes. If I call it like this it works fine (many elements of size 1 byte each):

fread(record_array, 1, (num_records * sizeof(record)), myfile)

so it seems to ignore the 2nd function parameter. Weird? It's not killing me, but I'm not sure why the size_t size variable is redundant?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
D H
Mar16-12, 06:54 AM
Mentor
P: 15,170
You are calling fread with the size and nmemb arguments reversed. Your call should be fread (record_array, sizeof(record), num_records, myfile).

The return value from fread is the number of records that were read, not the number of bytes.
Adyssa
Mar16-12, 08:03 AM
P: 188
Oooh I missed that, thanks. Also, they were reversed /facepalm. =S

It's been a long day! :)

Register to reply