How to figure out answer to logarithm

In summary, to solve the equation x*log(x)=0.1*x^2, you can use Newton's Method and the Lambert W function to find the solution of x= 1.11833 (to six significant figures). It is important to note that x=0 is not a solution since log(0) is undefined.
mycrafish
x*log(x)=0.1*x^2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My guess is that using Newton's Method would be the easiest. I don't see any easy way to isolate x in that equation.

mycrafish said:
x*log(x)=0.1*x^2
Is log = log10? Then I'd guess about, oh, let's see, ... 10? :smile:

First, of course, x= 0 is not a solution because log(0) is not defined. So you can divide both sides by x to get log(x)= 0.1 x. You can now write this as [itex]x= e^{0.1x}[/itex]. If you let y= -0.1x, that becomes [itex]-y/0.1= e^{-y}[/itex]. Now multiply on both sides by [itex]-0.1e^y[/itex] to get [itex]ye^y= -0.1[/itex].

Now we can take the Lambert W function of both sides:
y= -0.1x= W(-0.1) so x= -10W(-0.1)= -10(-0.111833)= 1.11833 (to six significant figures).

(The Lambert W function is defined as the inverse function to [itex]f(x)= xe^x[/itex]. It is also known as the "ProductLog" function. Mathematica evaluates that function and it can be evaluated at http://functions.wolfram.com/webMathematica/FunctionEvaluation.jsp?name=ProductLog. That's what I used to get the value above.)

Last edited by a moderator:

To solve this equation, we first need to understand the properties of logarithms. Logarithms are the inverse operation of exponentiation, meaning that if we have a logarithm with a base of x, it can be rewritten as x^y = z, where x is the base, y is the exponent, and z is the result.

In this case, we have x*log(x) = 0.1*x^2. To solve for x, we can rewrite this equation as x^(log(x)) = 0.1*x^2. We can then use the property of logarithms that states log(x^y) = y*log(x) to rewrite the equation as x^(log(x)) = x^(0.1*x^2).

Since the bases on both sides of the equation are the same, we can set the exponents equal to each other, giving us log(x) = 0.1*x^2. We can then use the definition of logarithms, which states that log(x) = y if and only if x = 10^y, to rewrite the equation as x = 10^(0.1*x^2).

At this point, we can use a numerical method, such as graphing or using a calculator, to approximate the value of x that satisfies this equation. Alternatively, we can use a computer program or mathematical software to solve for x precisely.

In summary, to solve a logarithmic equation such as x*log(x) = 0.1*x^2, we need to understand the properties of logarithms and use them to rewrite the equation in a way that allows us to solve for x. From there, we can use numerical or computational methods to find the value of x that satisfies the equation.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is used to determine the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. For example, if we have 2^3 = 8, the logarithm would be log base 2 of 8 = 3.

2. How do I solve a logarithm?

To solve a logarithm, you need to rewrite it in its exponential form. This means putting the base number as the base of the exponential expression, and the result of the logarithm as the exponent. Then, you can solve for the unknown variable using algebraic methods.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

There are three main properties of logarithms: the product property, the quotient property, and the power property. The product property states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient property states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms. The power property states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve logarithms?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a log function that allows you to easily solve logarithms. Make sure to enter the base number first, then press the log button, followed by the number you are trying to find the logarithm of. Double check that your answer makes sense and is in the correct format (i.e. decimal or fraction).

5. How do I solve a logarithm with a non-standard base?

To solve a logarithm with a non-standard base, you can use the change of base formula. This formula states that log base a of b is equal to log base c of b divided by log base c of a. You can choose any base c that is convenient for you to use in your calculations. Make sure to double check your answer to ensure it is in the correct format.