Ln x as a logarithmic function

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties and definition of ln(x) as the area under 1/x and how it satisfies the laws of logarithms. The question is raised about why satisfying these laws means it must be a logarithm, and it is explained that any function that satisfies these laws must be a logarithm. The conversation also touches on the uniqueness of ln(x) and the various ways it can be defined.
ruivocanadense
My book finds a function of x say ln(x). It is the area under 1/x. Having the properties (d/dx) ln x = 1/x and ln 1 = 0. It says it determines ln(x) completely. It satisfies the laws of logarithms, but why can I regard it as a logarithm just because it satisfies those laws?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
ruivocanadense said:
My book finds a function of x say ln(x). It is the area under 1/x. Having the properties (d/dx) ln x = 1/x and ln 1 = 0. It says it determines ln(x) completely. It satisfies the laws of logarithms, but why can I regard it as a logarithm just because it satisfies those laws?
It's like the Duck Test.
"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."​

Likes theBin and Ssnow
ruivocanadense said:
Waterfowl aside, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of the Calculus with the integral definition of the natural log to verify that ln (x) obeys the properties of a logarithmic function. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm

Specifically the section called "Integral representation of the natural logarithm".

Likes theBin
As you said ##\frac{d}{dx}\ln{x}=\frac{1}{x}## so the antiderivative of ##\frac{1}{x}## is ##\ln{x}+c##. If you consider a definite integral, the interpretation as area under the graph follows.

Likes theBin
ruivocanadense said:
Based on that definition, you can prove that the function satisfies the laws of logarithms.

mfb said:
Based on that definition, you can prove that the function satisfies the laws of logarithms.

Yes. I guess I didn't need to give all this information. The question is: Why if I satisfy the laws of logarithms does it have to be a logarithm.
I mean, logarithms have to satisfy the laws of logarithms, but can't there exist something that satisfies these same properties but that is not a logarithm?

ruivocanadense said:
Yes. I guess I didn't need to give all this information. The question is: Why if I satisfy the laws of logarithms does it have to be a logarithm.
I mean, logarithms have to satisfy the laws of logarithms, but can't there exist something that satisfies these same properties but that is not a logarithm?
Maybe there is. But what is it? Mathematics doesn't seem to have stumbled over this beast yet.

ruivocanadense said:
No, because you can also prove the opposite direction.

If a function f: R+ -> R satisfies f(a*b)=f(a)+f(b) for all positive a,b, and (a>b => f(a)>f(b)), then f(x)=c*ln(x) with c>0.
Note that you do not even have to require f(1)=0, because it follows from f(1*b)=f(1)+f(b).

mfb said:
No, because you can also prove the opposite direction.

If a function f: R+ -> R satisfies f(a*b)=f(a)+f(b) for all positive a,b, and (a>b => f(a)>f(b)), then f(x)=c*ln(x) with c>0.
Note that you do not even have to require f(1)=0, because it follows from f(1*b)=f(1)+f(b).

Where does the c from c*ln(x) come from? And how do those two prior conditions imply f(x) = c*ln(x). Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not understanding.

Also when you say ln(x) do you already know it is a logarithmic function. Because if it you do, your not proving it. And if you don't, I don't understand what is telling me that it is in fact a logarithmic function?

ruivocanadense said:
Surely that's contradiction. If it satisfies the laws of logarithms then it is by definition a logarithm!

Ian Taylor said:
Surely that's contradiction. If it satisfies the laws of logarithms then it is by definition a logarithm!

Sorry I don't understand the logic, can I have a few extra steps?

ruivocanadense said:
Where does the c from c*ln(x) come from?
f(x)=2*ln(x), f(x)=523.35*ln(x) and so on all satisfy the logarithm laws. To narrow down f to f(x)=ln(x), you have to add one more requirement, like f(e)=1 or f'(0)=1.
And how do those two prior conditions imply f(x) = c*ln(x). Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not understanding.
Via some mathematical proof that I don't know in detail, but I know it exists. Basically, you show that any function that deviates from c*ln(x) at any point has to violate the logarithm laws somewhere.
Also when you say ln(x) do you already know it is a logarithmic function. Because if it you do, your not proving it. And if you don't, I don't understand what is telling me that it is in fact a logarithmic function?
You can use any definition of ln that you like there, the integral over 1/x, or the inverse function of the exponential function, or whatever. The function is unique, you can prove that the logarithm laws are satisfied by exactly one function (up to the constant discussed above), and you can also show that this function satisfies all the other properties you expect from it.

ruivocanadense said:
Sorry I don't understand the logic, can I have a few extra steps?
If we agree to define a logarithm as a function having certain properties, and we then find a function which has these defined properties then it must be a logarithm, by definition.
You said it yourself:

You can't have something which satisfies all the laws of logarithms which isn't a logarithm! It's a contradiction.

Ian Taylor said:
If we agree to define a logarithm as a function having certain properties, and we then find a function which has these defined properties then it must be a logarithm, by definition.
You said it yourself:You can't have something which satisfies all the laws of logarithms which isn't a logarithm! It's a contradiction.

Without a proof of that not necessarily. All logarithms have to satisfy all logarithmic laws, but not the other way around, unless we can prove reciprocity.
All bananas are big and yellow, but there are other fruits that are big and yellow and are not bananas (e.g. mango).

ruivocanadense said:
All logarithms have to satisfy all logarithmic laws, but not the other way around, unless we can prove reciprocity.
You cannot prove a definition. You can prove that the logarithm laws uniquely define a function (up to the constant mentioned before). This function is called "logarithm".

mfb said:
You cannot prove a definition. You can prove that the logarithm laws uniquely define a function (up to the constant mentioned before). This function is called "logarithm".

Well yeah I didn't say to prove a definition, and I thought reciprocity implied uniqueness.

On another note, can you direct me on where to find this proof, like the one you mentioned above about deviating from c*ln(x).

Every good textbook should have that.

Here is a sketch, if you replace the "increasing" by "continuous" (should also work with increasing):

Take an arbitrary continuous function f: R+ -> R that satisfies f(a*b)=f(a)+f(b) for all real a,b>0
Consider b=1: f(a*1)=f(a)+f(1), therefore 0=f(1).
Define c as f(e)=c.
$$c=f(e)=f(\sqrt e \sqrt e ) = f(\sqrt e )+f(\sqrt e ) = 2 f(\sqrt e)$$
therefore ##f(\sqrt e)=\frac{c}{2}##.
$$\frac c 2 =f(e^{1/4} \cdot e^{1/4} ) = 2 f(e^{1/4})$$
##f(e^{1/4})=\frac{c}{4}##
Doing that inductively fixes the function at a dense subset of the real interval [1,e] (all that can be expressed as ##e^{a/2^n}## for some a,n). With f(a*e)=f(a)+f(e)=f(a)+1 and 0=f(1)=f(a*(1/a))=f(a)+f(1/a) we can extend that to all positive numbers.

Let f and g be two (potentially different) functions that satisfy the criteria above, with the same constant c. Consider f-g. It is 0 everywhere on the dense subset, and as f and g are continuous it is continuous as well. The only function that satisfies those conditions is zero everywhere, therefore f=g. The function we found is unique.

ruivocanadense said:
Without a proof of that not necessarily. All logarithms have to satisfy all logarithmic laws, but not the other way around, unless we can prove reciprocity.
All bananas are big and yellow, but there are other fruits that are big and yellow and are not bananas (e.g. mango).
Ah yes, but this means that big and yellow is not a 'good' definition of a banana. If we agree that it IS a good definition of a banana, then a mango would have to be called a banana. So if we agree on a definition of a logarithm, then any function which lives up to this definition must be a logarithm otherwise the world is a crazy place and we might as well give up!

1. What is Ln x as a logarithmic function?

Ln x is the natural logarithm of x, where the base of the logarithm is the mathematical constant e (approximately equal to 2.71828). It is the inverse function of the exponential function e^x.

2. How do you graph Ln x as a logarithmic function?

To graph Ln x, plot points with x values ranging from 1 to infinity, and y values that correspond to the natural logarithm of the respective x values. The graph will be a smooth, upward-curving line that approaches but never touches the x-axis.

3. What is the domain and range of Ln x as a logarithmic function?

The domain of Ln x is all positive real numbers, as the natural logarithm is undefined for negative numbers. The range is all real numbers, as the natural logarithm can have both positive and negative values.

4. How do you solve equations involving Ln x as a logarithmic function?

To solve equations involving Ln x, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. For example, if you have an equation Ln x = 2, you can rewrite it as x = e^2. You can also use the inverse property of logarithms to solve for x.

5. How is Ln x used in real-world applications?

Ln x is commonly used in fields such as finance, physics, and biology to model exponential growth and decay. It is also used in calculus to solve various types of equations, such as differential equations. Additionally, the natural logarithm is used in statistical analysis to transform data to a more linear form.