Register to reply

Probability function with specification for different range ?

by RufusDawes
Tags: function, probability, range, specification
Share this thread:
RufusDawes
Mar26-12, 05:39 AM
P: 163
I understand a probability function can be defined according to range ?

So for example,

0>x f(x) = 0

for 0>x>100 f(x) = 1/100

to work out probability it is integration of that function.

So how does it work if for some other range there is a DIFFERENT functions ?

Is it that there will be multiple equations for probability depending on x ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
chiro
Mar26-12, 06:00 AM
P: 4,573
Quote Quote by RufusDawes View Post
I understand a probability function can be defined according to range ?

So for example,

0>x f(x) = 0

for 0>x>100 f(x) = 1/100

to work out probability it is integration of that function.

So how does it work if for some other range there is a DIFFERENT functions ?

Is it that there will be multiple equations for probability depending on x ?
Hey RufusDawes.

You do the same thing, but break the integral up into pieces for each appropriate interval.

For expectation, variance etc: same thing: split up the integral according to the intervals and do the integration to get mean, variance, etc.
RufusDawes
Mar27-12, 03:31 AM
P: 163
Quote Quote by chiro View Post
Hey RufusDawes.

You do the same thing, but break the integral up into pieces for each appropriate interval.

For expectation, variance etc: same thing: split up the integral according to the intervals and do the integration to get mean, variance, etc.
So what do I do when the upper limit of the range approaches a discrete value (a whole number) on both ranges.

If there are 2 functions one with a limit 0>x>1 and 1>=x>2 and the other is for x>=2 the integrals of the whole thing should = 1 ?

does that mean that I can use the value of 1 as the upper bit for the first integral as it is so small it won't affect the area ?

chiro
Mar27-12, 04:30 AM
P: 4,573
Probability function with specification for different range ?

Quote Quote by RufusDawes View Post
So what do I do when the upper limit of the range approaches a discrete value (a whole number) on both ranges.

If there are 2 functions one with a limit 0>x>1 and 1>=x>2 and the other is for x>=2 the integrals of the whole thing should = 1 ?

does that mean that I can use the value of 1 as the upper bit for the first integral as it is so small it won't affect the area ?
You treat function 1 in range 1 and function 2 in range 2. As long the PDF is a valid probability density function, then it's ok to do this. Are the functions for 0 > x > 1 and 1 >= x > 2 analytic? In other words can you for each range describe a continuous analytic function?

Register to reply