Calculus Question: Equations of Lines in 2-Space

In summary, the task is to determine a scalar equation for a line passing through the point (1,-4) and perpendicular to the line 3x + 2y - 6 = 0. The approach is to use the coefficients of the given line to find a normal vector, then use this vector and the given point to write a vector equation and eliminate the parameter to obtain the desired scalar equation.
Buzzlastyear

Homework Statement

A line passes through the point (1, -4) and is perpendicular to the line 3x + 2y – 6 = 0. Determine a scalar equation for the line.

Was also given this: Find a vector which is normal to the line and then use the dot product of this vector and P0P.

Homework Equations

scalar equation: ax+by+c=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure if this gets me anywhere but i turned the scalar equation into a vector equation:
Random point on line: (0,-3), therefore vector equation r=(0,-3)+t(2,-3)
Not sure where i can go from here, i just know i have to find a line perpendicular to 3x + 2y - 6 =0 that goes through the point (1, -4)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that a the coefficients of 3x+2y=6 give you a normal vector to the line. So use <3,2> for your direction vector and (1,-4) for your point. Write the vector equation using those and eliminate the parameter to get your scalar equation.

Okay thank you very much

1. What is the equation of a line in 2-space?

The equation of a line in 2-space is represented by y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the slope of a line in 2-space?

The slope of a line in 2-space can be found by using the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on the line.

3. What is the y-intercept of a line in 2-space?

The y-intercept of a line in 2-space is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. It is represented by the value b in the equation y = mx + b.

4. Can a line in 2-space have a negative slope?

Yes, a line in 2-space can have a negative slope. This means that the line is decreasing as it moves from left to right.

5. How can you determine if two lines in 2-space are parallel or perpendicular?

Two lines in 2-space are parallel if they have the same slope. They are perpendicular if the product of their slopes is -1.