Calculus Question: Equations of Lines in 2-Space

by Buzzlastyear
Tags: calculus, equations of lines
Share this thread:
Buzzlastyear
Mar27-12, 06:45 PM
P: 17
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A line passes through the point (1, -4) and is perpendicular to the line 3x + 2y – 6 = 0. Determine a scalar equation for the line.

Was also given this: Find a vector which is normal to the line and then use the dot product of this vector and P0P.

2. Relevant equations

scalar equation: ax+by+c=0

3. The attempt at a solution

i'm not sure if this gets me anywhere but i turned the scalar equation into a vector equation:
Random point on line: (0,-3), therefore vector equation r=(0,-3)+t(2,-3)
Not sure where i can go from here, i just know i have to find a line perpendicular to 3x + 2y - 6 =0 that goes through the point (1, -4)
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
LCKurtz
Mar27-12, 07:19 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,627
Remember that a the coefficients of 3x+2y=6 give you a normal vector to the line. So use <3,2> for your direction vector and (1,-4) for your point. Write the vector equation using those and eliminate the parameter to get your scalar equation.
Buzzlastyear
Mar27-12, 09:44 PM
P: 17
Okay thank you very much

Register to reply