Find the two points on the curve that share a tangent line

In summary: ... factoring out ##(a+b)## from the equation.##\displaystyle (b^2 + a^2 - 2 + 4ab)(a+b)##will only have a positive value if ##\displaystyle a## is greater than ##\displaystyle b##.
Graxum
Homework Statement
Find the two points on the curve y=x^4 - 2x^2 - x that share a tangent line?
Relevant Equations
y=x^4 - 2x^2 - x

dy/dx = 4x^3 - 4x - 1
IMPORTANT: NO CALCULATORS

I assumed two points, (a, f(a)) and (b, f(b)) where b is greater than a. Since the tangent line is shared, I did

f'(a) = f'(b):

1) 4a^3 - 4a - 1 = 4b^3 - 4b - 1
2) 4a^3 - 4a = 4b^3 - 4b
3) 4(a^3 - a) = 4(b^3 - b)
4) a^3 - a = b^3 - b
5) a^3 - b^3 = a - b
6) (a - b)(a^2 + ab + b^2) = (a - b)
7) a^2 + ab + b^2 = 1

and

(f(b) - f(a))/b - a = f'(a):

1) (b^4 - 2b^2 - b - a^4 + 2a^2 + a) / (b - a) = 4a^3 - 4a - 1
2) [(b^4 - a^4) -2(b^2 - a^2) - (b - a)] / (b - a) = 4a^3 -4a -1
3) [(b^2 + a^2)(b + a)(b - a) - 2(b + a)(b - a) - (b - a)] / (b - a) = 4a^3 - 4a - 1
4) (b^2 + a^2)(b + a) - 2(b + a) - 1 = 4a^3 - 4a - 1
5) (b + a)(b^2 + a^2 - 2) = 4a(a - 1)(a + 1)
6) From the 7th step of the 1st equation, I deduced that:
a^2 + b(a + b) = 1
6.1) b(a + b) = (1 - a)(1 + a), thus -b(a + b) = (a - 1)(a + 1)
7) Subbing in -b(a + b) for (a - 1)(a + 1) on the right side of the equation on the 5th line, I got:
(b + a)(b^2 + a^2 - 2) = -4ab(a + b)
8) b^2 + a^2 - 2 = -4ab
9) From the 7th step of the 1st equation, I deduced that:
a^2 + b^2 = 1 - ab
10) Subbing in 1 - ab for a^2 + b^2 on the left side of the equation on the 8th line, I got:
-ab - 1 = -4ab
11) 1 = 3ab, thus ab = 1/3
12) Subbing in ab for 1 - a^2 - b^2 on the right side of the equation on the 8th line, I got:
a^2 + b^2 - 2 = -4 + 4a^2 + 4b^2
13) a^2 + b^2 = 2/3

Now you would think that knowing ab = 1/3 and a^2 + b^2 = 2/3 would make things easy, however I must've made a mistake somewhere because I find multiple possible solutions, a=1 (and f(a) for the y coordinate) and 2 values for b (those being 2/3 or -1, and their respective y coordinates.) I came so far and still can't find the answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Graxum said:
Homework Statement:: Find the two points on the curve y=x^4 - 2x^2 - x that share a tangent line?
Relevant Equations:: y=x^4 - 2x^2 - x

dy/dx = 4x^3 - 4x - 1

IMPORTANT: NO CALCULATORS

I assumed two points, (a, f(a)) and (b, f(b)) where b is greater than a. Since the tangent line is shared, I did

f'(a) = f'(b):

and

7) Subbing in -b(a + b) for (a - 1)(a + 1) on the right side of the equation on the 5th line, I got:
(b + a)(b^2 + a^2 - 2) = -4ab(a + b)
8) b^2 + a^2 - 2 = -4ab

Now you would think that knowing ab = 1/3 and a^2 + b^2 = 2/3 would make things easy, however I must've made a mistake somewhere because I find multiple possible solutions, a=1 (and f(a) for the y coordinate) and 2 values for b (those being 2/3 or -1, and their respective y coordinates.) I came so far and still can't find the answer!
Hello, @Graxum .

:welcome:

Be careful going from the result of step 7) to step 8).

You divided by ##(a+b)## . That is not legal if the value of ##(a+b)## is zero.

It's better to get zero on one side of the equation, then factor out ##(a+b)##.

That should also give the possibility that ##(a+b)=0##, in addition to the result you obtained.

Added in Edit:

At this point the problem is nearly solved. (Being a bit redundant, let's continue.)

##\displaystyle (b^2 + a^2 - 2 + 4ab)(a+b)=0##

So one of the two factors, ##\displaystyle (b^2 + a^2 - 2 + 4ab)## or ##\displaystyle (a+b)## must be zero.

You have already tried setting the first of these to zero. Now try the other, along with the 7th step of the 1st equation.

Last edited:
Likes Graxum
Hint:
$$
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y}{x}
$$

Fred Wright said:
Hint:
$$
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y}{x}
$$
That doesn't seem to me to be correct.

Graxum said:
I think keeping the problem symmetric in ##a## and ##b## will significantly simplify your algebra. Try writing your equation for the shared tangent line as:$$\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}=\frac{f^{\prime}(a)+f^{\prime}(b)}{2}$$ and repeating your derivation.

Let the tangent line be [itex]y = mx + c[/itex], and define [tex]
g(x) = f(x) - mx - c = x^4 - 2x^2 - (m+1)x - c.[/tex] Npw if [itex](a, f(a))[/itex] is on the tangent line then [itex]g(a) = 0[/itex], and for the line to actually be a tangent we require [itex]g'(a) = 0[/itex]. We obtain the same conditions for [itex]b[/itex]. Can you see why the fact that [itex]g[/itex] is a polynomial of order 4 in [itex]x[/itex] then requires [tex]
g(x) = (x- a)^2(x- b)^2 = x^4 - 2x^2 - (m+1)x - c?[/tex] Comparing coefficients of [itex]x^3[/itex] and [itex]x^2[/itex] will now give you an easier system of equations to solve for [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

Likes SammyS
SammyS said:
Hello, @Graxum .

:welcome:

Be careful going from the result of step 7) to step 8).

You divided by ##(a+b)## . That is not legal if the value of ##(a+b)## is zero.

It's better to get zero on one side of the equation, then factor out ##(a+b)##.

That should also give the possibility that ##(a+b)=0##, in addition to the result you obtained.

Added in Edit:

At this point the problem is nearly solved. (Being a bit redundant, let's continue.)

So one of the two factors, ##\displaystyle (b^2 + a^2 - 2 + 4ab)## or ##\displaystyle (a+b)## must be zero.

You have already tried setting the first of these to zero. Now try the other, along with the 7th step of the 1st equation.
Ah i completely forgot about that!

I have 1 more question though, After the correction I got 2 answers ##(a= -1/sqrt3, b= 1/sqrt3)## from the left side and ##(a=-1, b=1)## from the right side, how do I check which of those is the correct answer? are both correct? in that case, when I plot the main equation on a graph, the 1st one seems to be completely off and those points definitely don't share a tangent line.

I wonder if I calculated something wrong somewhere?

Graxum said:
Ah i completely forgot about that!

I have 1 more question though, After the correction I got 2 answers ##(a= -1/\sqrt 3, b= 1/\sqrt 3)## from the left side and ##(a=-1, b=1)## from the right side, how do I check which of those is the correct answer? are both correct? in that case, when I plot the main equation on a graph, the 1st one seems to be completely off and those points definitely don't share a tangent line.

I wonder if I calculated something wrong somewhere?
Well, you could plug those values into check them.

Beyond that:
For the following equation to be true,

all that's required is that either ##\displaystyle (b^2 + a^2 - 2 + 4ab)=0 \text{ or } (a+b)=0##

It looks like you found that ##a+b=0## leads to ##a=-1, \ b=1## .

That does give the correct solution.

I thought I was fairly well up in polynomials, for an amateur, and that this would be a doddle. Instead I found it quite difficult, maybe the operative word there is 'was'. :oldcry: .

I didn't go through the OP's calculations, they looked too heavy and complicated. When it gets that complicated one should look for a simpler approach.

But then I realize that is even when true easier said than done sometimes. especially if you had a method which you are sure should work, so if it doesn't you might think there is some calculational error and ask for help as the OP did.

I know how to find the condition for a double root of a polynomial, I do not know a formulation for finding two double roots any more compact than finding one and then the other.

Anyway I eventually found (independently) essentially the same formulation as that of pasmith, and it all falls out in a couple of lines, with result ##m = -1, c=-1##. You do not even need to consider the derivative. So I can only add, seeing is believing:

31C40C5F-AA26-4C21-8E98-068A3D02F63A.jpeg

I'll worry about how general this is some other time.

Last edited:

1. How do you find the two points on a curve that share a tangent line?

To find the two points on a curve that share a tangent line, you need to first find the derivative of the curve. Then, set the derivative equal to the slope of the tangent line. Solve for the x-value(s) that satisfy this equation. These x-values will correspond to the points on the curve that share a tangent line.

2. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. Can a curve have more than two points that share a tangent line?

Yes, a curve can have multiple points that share a tangent line. This occurs when the curve has a point of inflection, where the direction of the curve changes and the derivative is equal to zero.

4. How is finding the tangent line related to finding the derivative?

The derivative of a curve represents the slope of the tangent line at any given point. So, by finding the derivative and setting it equal to the slope of the tangent line, you can find the points on the curve that share a tangent line.

5. Can you use calculus to find the two points on a curve that share a tangent line?

Yes, calculus is the branch of mathematics that deals with finding derivatives and using them to solve problems like finding the tangent line and points on a curve that share a tangent line.