Electro weak vertices

by Jodahr
Tags: electro, vertices, weak
Share this thread:
Jodahr
Mar29-12, 03:02 PM
P: 10
I have a question about Feynman Diagrams:

let's say we have a process: up antidown -> W+ -> up antidown...

the first vertex is like V_CKM G PL ( mixing, gamma, projector)
the second is the same..only with the complex conjugate CKM matrix...
but why?...

If I compute the M* I have to bar the vertices..and there I got the same vertex..with the same flow..but there I would change PL to PR and interchange PL and Gamma..why is that the case?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
francesco85
Mar30-12, 03:19 AM
P: 62
Quote Quote by Jodahr View Post
I have a question about Feynman Diagrams:

let's say we have a process: up antidown -> W+ -> up antidown...

the first vertex is like V_CKM G PL ( mixing, gamma, projector)
the second is the same..only with the complex conjugate CKM matrix...
but why?...

If I compute the M* I have to bar the vertices..and there I got the same vertex..with the same flow..but there I would change PL to PR and interchange PL and Gamma..why is that the case?
Hello, in my opinion the answer is the following: the Feynman diagram you are considering is composed of two vertices: in the first an up is destroyed, an antidown is destroyed and a W+ is created; in the second vertex an up is created, an antidown is created and a W+ is destroyed; so, roughly speaking, the first is associated with a term in the lagrangian like (u dbar W-), while the second with (ubar d W+), that is its hermitian conjugate (of course I have forgot all the contraction matrices...); this is the origin of the conjugation of the CKM matrix paramters (and, of course, one should be careful with the imaginary units!)
Best,
Francesco
AdrianTheRock
Mar30-12, 07:03 AM
P: 136
I think another way of looking at it is like this.

That Feynman diagram also describes the processes
u → W+ + d
W+ + d → u
as all I have done here is replace the incoming anti-d with an outgoing d, and the outgoing anti-d with an incoming d.

The CKM matrix, as defined, is the factor for 'converting' down-type quarks to up-type, eg
|u> = Vud |d>
Provided only the three known generations of quarks exist, the CKM matrix must be unitary, and hence
V-1 = V
so
|d> = V*ud |u>

Register to reply