Contour maps, turn based gaming, and space travel

In summary, the conversation is about finding the function that describes how much fuel will remain for a ship at a given point (x, y) after a fixed length of time, T, and a maximum amount of energy/thrust/fuel is spent during that time. The constraints are that only a single, constant force can be applied during T and there are no external forces at play. The goal is to determine the set of (x, y) points where the fuel remaining is equal to 0, which is believed to form an ellipse. The conversation also discusses using the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation and the limitation of dm/dt by the construction of the ship's drive. The solution may involve integrals if the approximation of constant
ifnspifn
Hiya,

I'm working on a 2D turn based space combat game, and I'd like to nail the mathematics of how a ship would truly move in space. Without going too much into my control scheme, here's the problem I'd like to solve:

"Given a ship at point (x_0, y_0), with initial velocity V, along with a fixed length of time, T, and a maximum amount of energy/thrust/fuel a player can spend during this turn (which lasts T seconds long), what is the function f(x, y) that describes how much fuel will remain should the player decide to go to point (x, y) this turn?"

Now, this may seem like an ambiguous question (and, I guess, it could be), but here are some other constraints:
-During this time interval T, only a single, constant force can be applied for the duration of T
-There are no external forces at play

Now, intuitively, I'd guess that the set of (x, y) points where f(x, y) = 0 would form an ellipse of some kind. This is backed up by some preliminary work I've done, but I'm pretty well lost at this point. Here's my attempt at solving the problem, thus far:

since x_f = x_0 + v_x * t + (1/2) * a * t^2, and likewise for the y component, I can say that:
a_x = (2/t^2) * (x_f - x_0 - v_x * t).
From this, I can find the magnitude of a:
||a|| = (2/t^2) * sqrt((x - (x_0 + v_x * t))^2 + (y - (y_0 + v_y * t))^2)
needed to bring the ship to some point (x, y) in time t. However, beyond this, I'm not sure how to model my function f(x,y) so as to draw where a player could go. Initial ideas have included creating some maximum amount of acceleration, A, that a player can use this turn, but that doesn't really make any physical sense. I've tried working in the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation), but I don't quite know how. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rocket mass m, exhaust velocity v and acceleration a give you [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}=m \frac{|a|}{v}[/tex]

With the approximation that the player burns only a small part of his current rocket mass during a turn, you can keep m constant. v is usually given by the type of rocket. Therefore, dm/dt is proportional to |a|. Usually, dm/dt is limited by the construction of your drive, which limits |a| for each turn.
Without this approximation, I think you'll need some integrals, as m and therefore dm/dt is changing over time.

1. What are contour maps used for?

Contour maps are used to represent the elevation and topography of a specific area on a two-dimensional surface. They show the shape and steepness of the land by using contour lines that connect points of equal elevation.

2. How do contour maps help with navigation?

Contour maps are useful for navigation because they provide a visual representation of the terrain, allowing individuals to plan routes and avoid obstacles such as steep inclines or bodies of water.

3. What is turn-based gaming?

Turn-based gaming is a style of gameplay in which players take turns making moves and decisions. This is in contrast to real-time gaming, where all players are making decisions simultaneously.

4. What are some examples of popular turn-based games?

Some examples of popular turn-based games include chess, Scrabble, and many role-playing games (RPGs). In recent years, turn-based strategy games such as Civilization and XCOM have also gained popularity.

5. How is space travel currently being utilized?

Currently, space travel is primarily being utilized for scientific research, satellite deployment, and transportation of astronauts to and from the International Space Station. Private companies are also beginning to use space travel for commercial purposes, such as space tourism and satellite launches.