Projectile Motion: Path's length?

In summary: Thanks! I understood everything you said! But back to the original problem. How difficult it is too calculate the length of the path? Can we compare it ##\frac{circle perimeter}{4}## so if we know the radius of that circle we can calculate the length of that path? (Because the path of the projectile looks like it's an... ellipse?)
babaliaris
So I just learned about projectile motion. I understand why you can study it as two independent straight line motions . But this can give you a way to calculate total velocities or accelerations, just by adding its individual component of each vector.

If the initial position of the projectile is
$$
r = (x_0, y_0)
$$

then (1)

$$
v = v_xi + v_yj \\
a = a_xi + a_yj
$$

where (2)

$$
v_x = \frac{dx}{dt}, v_y = \frac{dy}{dt} \\
a_x = \frac{v_x}{dt}, a_y = \frac{v_y}{dt}
$$

SO (3)
$$
v_x = v_0, v_y = a*t \\
x-x_0 = v_0t, y-y_0 = \frac{1}{2}at^2
$$

Using the equations in (3) you can find the individual coefficients of the total v and a in (1) independently (well a is just -g here but anyways). But if you know the Δx and Δy of the two motions can you somehow find the length of the path that the projectile travels without knowing the function of the path itself?

Physics news on Phys.org
babaliaris said:
So I just learned about projectile motion. I understand why you can study it as two independent straight line motions . But this can give you a way to calculate total velocities or accelerations, just by adding its individual component of each vector.

If the initial position of the projectile is
$$
r = (x_0, y_0)
$$

then (1)

$$
v = v_xi + v_yj \\
a = a_xi + a_yj
$$

where (2)

$$
v_x = \frac{dx}{dt}, v_y = \frac{dy}{dt} \\
a_x = \frac{v_x}{dt}, a_y = \frac{v_y}{dt}
$$

SO (3)
$$
v_x = v_0, v_y = a*t \\
x-x_0 = v_0t, y-y_0 = \frac{1}{2}at^2
$$

Using the equations in (3) you can find the individual coefficients of the total v and a in (1) independently (well a is just -g here but anyways). But if you know the Δx and Δy of the two motions can you somehow find the length of the path that the projectile travels without knowing the function of the path itself?

Those equations define the path, so you don't have to calculate the path explicitly. That said, the path length is not easy to calculate.

PeroK said:
Those equations define the path, so you don't have to calculate the path explicitly. That said, the path length is not easy to calculate.

I have not done this before but I will try to guess it:
$$
y = \frac{1}{2}at^2 + y_0\\
\\
x = v_0t \Leftrightarrow t = \frac{x}{v_0} \\
\\
f(x) = \frac{1}{2}a\frac{x^2}{v_0^2} + y_0\\
$$

This is the function of the path?

Likes PeroK
babaliaris said:
I have not done this before but I will try to guess it:
$$
\\
\\
$$

This is the function of the path?

What happened to ##v_{0y}##?

PeroK said:
What happened to ##v_{0y}##?
Isn't it zero? This is a projectile motion so I assumed v_0 only applies to the horizontal motion

$$
\vec{v_0} = v_0i + 0j
$$

babaliaris said:
Isn't it zero? This is a projectile motion so I assumed v_0 only applies to the horizontal motion

$$
\vec{v_0} = v_0i + 0j
$$

It's not easy to get something off the ground unless you give it an initial upward component of velocity.

PeroK said:
It's not easy to get something off the ground unless you give it an initial upward component of velocity.

Sorry I had in mind a plane flying at a velocity ##v_0## and at ##t_0 = 0## is dropping a bomb. Then everything below should work right?

$$
\\
\\
$$

babaliaris said:
Sorry I had in mind a plane flying at a velocity ##v_0## and at ##t_0 = 0## is dropping a bomb. Then everything below should work right?

$$
\\
\\
$$

For that specific problem, yes. Note that you have also assumed that ##x_0 = 0##.

Normally, for projectile motion, the only restriction is that ##a_x = 0, a_y = -g##. If you have acceleration in the x-direction or resistance in either direction, then things get more complicated.

You should try the more general case where ##v_{0y} \ne 0##.

Hint: introduce an initial angle ##\theta## (above the horizontal) at which the projectile is fired.

Likes babaliaris
PeroK said:
For that specific problem, yes. Note that you have also assumed that ##x_0 = 0##.

Normally, for projectile motion, the only restriction is that ##a_x = 0, a_y = -g##. If you have acceleration in the x-direction or resistance in either direction, then things get more complicated.

You should try the more general case where ##v_{0y} \ne 0##.

Hint: introduce an initial angle ##\theta## (above the horizontal) at which the projectile is fired.

Thanks! I understood everything you said! But back to the original problem. How difficult it is too calculate the length of the path? Can we compare it ##\frac{circle perimeter}{4}## so if we know the radius of that circle we can calculate the length of that path? (Because the path of the projectile looks like it's an arc)

babaliaris said:
Thanks! I understood everything you said! But back to the original problem. How difficult it is too calculate the length of the path? Can we compare it ##\frac{circle perimeter}{4}## so if we know the radius of that circle we can calculate the length of that path? (Because the path of the projectile looks like it's an arc)

The path is a parabola. You can look that up. Here, for example:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ParabolicSegment.html

PS The term you want is "arc length" of a parabola,

babaliaris said:

Actually, here is another approach for your problem, although it is mathematically equivalent. We have:

##v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2 = v_0^2 +g^2t^2##

##v(t) = \sqrt{v_0^2 + g^2t^2}##

Where ##v(t)## is the speed of the projectile at time ##t##.

Now, the distance traveled by the projectile is the integral of speed wrt time. So (an exercise for you), show that:
$$d(t) = \frac{v_0^2}{g} \int_0^{\frac{gt}{v_0}} \sqrt{1 + u^2} du$$
Where ##d(t)## is the distance traveled by the projectile, along its parabolic path, at time ##t##.

Likes babaliaris
PeroK said:
Actually, here is another approach for your problem, although it is mathematically equivalent. We have:

Where ##v(t)## is the speed of the projectile at time ##t##.

Now, the distance traveled by the projectile is the integral of speed wrt time. So (an exercise for you), show that:
$$d(t) = \frac{v_0^2}{g} \int_0^{\frac{gt}{v_0}} \sqrt{1 + u^2} du$$
Where ##d(t)## is the distance traveled by the projectile, along its parabolic path, at time ##t##.

$$
v = \frac{dx}{dt} \Leftrightarrow dx = vdt \Leftrightarrow \int_{x_0}^{x}dx = \int_{t_0}^{t}vdt \Leftrightarrow
x-x_0 = \int_{t_0}^{t}\sqrt{v_0^2 + g^2t^2}dt = \int_{t_0}^{t}\sqrt{v_0^2 (1 + \frac{1}{v_0}gt)^2}dt =|v_0|\int_{t_0}^{t}\sqrt{1 + (\frac{1}{v_0}gt)^2}dt
$$

Let ##u = \frac{1}{v_0}gt## then ##du = \frac{1}{v_0}gdt## and ##u(t_0) = \frac{gt_0}{v_0}## and ##u(t) = \frac{gt}{v_0}##

$$
x_0 - x = |v_0|\frac{v_0}{g}\int_{t_0}^{t}\sqrt{1 + (\frac{1}{v_0}gt)^2} \cdot \frac{1}{v_0}gdt =
\frac{v_0^2}{g}\int_{u(t_0)}^{u(t)}\sqrt{1 + u^2} du
$$

I just can't understand how did you do this:

babaliaris said:
I just can't understand how did you do this:

That's the usual relationship between the speed of a particle and the components of its velocity. Or, more generally, the magnitude of any vector and its components. For example:

##r = |\vec{r}| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##

Where ##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##. And:

##v = |\vec{v}| = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2}##

It's the same for any vector: force, momentum, electric field etc. It's the 3D generalisation of Pythagoras's theorem.

PeroK said:
That's the usual relationship between the speed of a particle and the components of its velocity. Or, more generally, the magnitude of any vector and its components. For example:

##r = |\vec{r}| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##

Where ##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##. And:

##v = |\vec{v}| = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2}##

It's the same for any vector: force, momentum, electric field etc. It's the 3D generalisation of Pythagoras's theorem.

Well yes but I find something else:

##v_x = v_0## and ##v_y = -\frac{1}{2}gt^2##
$$
\vec{v} = v_x \cdot \vec{i} + v_y \cdot \vec{j} = v_0 \cdot \vec{i} - \frac{1}{2}gt^2 \cdot \vec{j} \\
||v|| = \sqrt{v_0^2 + \frac{1}{4}g^2t^4}
$$

LOL i think i just "burned" my mind after so many hours of reading :-p

Well of course I used the wrong equation for ##v_y##, ##v_y = -gt## so now I think i will find the correct one:
$$
\vec{v} = v_x \cdot \vec{i} + v_y \cdot \vec{j} = v_0 \cdot \vec{i} - gt \cdot \vec{j} \\
||v|| = \sqrt{v_0^2 + g^2t^2}
$$Can you tell me one more thing? Why do we need to integrate the magnitude of the velocity? I had this question a lot of times before but what does it mean to integrate a vector itself?
$$
\Delta{x} = \int_{t_0}^{t} (v_0 \cdot \vec{i} - gt \cdot \vec{j}) \cdot dt
$$

Is this something in mathematics that I might not know yet? Maybe does mathematics tell's us that "To integrate a vector function just integrate it's magnitude."? And if this is true why is that?

Last edited:
babaliaris said:
Can you tell me one more thing? Why do we need to integrate the magnitude of the velocity?
The magnitude ##v(t)=|\vec{v}(t)|## of the velocity vector is the speed. Thus ##v(t)dt## is the distance traveled in time ##dt##. Integrating that gives us the total distance traveled.
Maybe does mathematics tell's us that "To integrate a vector function just integrate it's magnitude."? And if this is true why is that?
We aren't integrating a vector here, we're integrating an ordinary scalar function that happens to be the magnitude of a vector. (There is such a thing as integrating a vector function to get another vector, but that's not what we're doing here).

Likes babaliaris
babaliaris said:
Why do we need to integrate the magnitude of the velocity?
Because you want the path length.

babaliaris said:
...what does it mean to integrate a vector itself?
You can integrate the velocity components individually, to get the net displacements along each direction.

Likes babaliaris
babaliaris said:
$$
x_0 - x = |v_0|\frac{v_0}{g}\int_{t_0}^{t}\sqrt{1 + (\frac{1}{v_0}gt)^2} \cdot \frac{1}{v_0}gdt =
\frac{v_0^2}{g}\int_{u(t_0)}^{u(t)}\sqrt{1 + u^2} du
$$

One other point: we are not finding the difference in the x-coordinates here. We are integrating to find the arc length along the curve. I used ##d(t)## for the total distance traveled along the curve. The result is not ##x-x_0##.

Likes babaliaris
babaliaris said:
$$
\Delta{x} = \int_{t_0}^{t} (v_0 \cdot \vec{i} - gt \cdot \vec{j}) \cdot dt
$$

Is this something in mathematics that I might not know yet? Maybe does mathematics tell's us that "To integrate a vector function just integrate it's magnitude."? And if this is true why is that?
This equation will give you the displacement vector between the initial point and the location at time t. This is the same as a secant drawn to the curve from the initial location to the location at time t. But you want the cumulative tangential distance along the path, which, of course, is greater than the length of the secant.

Likes babaliaris

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the path length of a projectile?

The path length of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and external forces can also impact the path length.

3. How is the path length of a projectile calculated?

The path length of a projectile can be calculated using the equation: d = v0cosθ * t, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and t is the time.

4. Does the path length of a projectile change if it is launched at different angles?

Yes, the path length of a projectile will change depending on the angle of launch. A higher angle will result in a longer path length, while a lower angle will result in a shorter path length.

5. How does the path length of a projectile change with increasing initial velocity?

The path length of a projectile will increase with increasing initial velocity. This is because a higher initial velocity will result in a longer time in the air, allowing the projectile to travel a greater distance.