Mitt Romney's candidacy

by ThomasT
Tags: candidacy, mitt, romney
Share this thread:
Evo
Mar14-12, 03:46 PM
Mentor
P: 26,545
Let's drop this please and get back on topic. We're waiting for jduster to respond.
ThomasT
Mar15-12, 07:00 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by jduster View Post
I'm non-religious, and the idea of voting Republican, irks me a little, but Romney is the only candidate I can find myself supporting.
It isn't just Romney's religious affiliation that troubles me. It's his adherence to the corporatist status quo -- the ideals and practices of big corporation, big money politics. Which are certainly good for a tiny minority of Americans, but, imho, not good for the country as a whole.

Romney would, imo, be the sort of president who would seek to maximize the influence of the most wealthy and powerful, thereby minimizing the influence, and freedoms, of lesser players.
lisab
Apr2-12, 02:53 PM
Mentor
P: 2,987
OK I admit it, my inner adolescent giggled at this...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/a...170357495.html
mheslep
Apr2-12, 03:37 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,098
I don't know about the old man, but there does appear to be a tendency towards gag's with his offspring.

Matt Romney Schwarzenegger pranks the old man
Jimmy Snyder
Apr9-12, 05:19 PM
P: 2,179
The question of who will go to the convention with the most delegates is no longer an interesting one. It long ago shifted to whether Romney will get 1144 before the convention starts. Santorum's message is not that he can defeat Romney, it's that if you vote for Santorum, you are really voting for brokered convention and a Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, or Marco Rubio to be drafted. There's something in that. Romney doesn't poll well against Obama.

On the other hand, Romney's message is that if you vote for him, he can stop running negative ads against Santorum, and start running negative ads against Obama. Positive ads being considered a waste of money any more.
ThomasT
Apr11-12, 06:34 AM
P: 1,414
Ok, the Romney nomination thread will be closed soon. Then we'll have the Romney vs Obama thread. Oh, how exciting.
mheslep
Apr11-12, 12:06 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
. Romney doesn't poll well against Obama.
Recently.
lisab
Apr11-12, 01:19 PM
Mentor
P: 2,987
The question of who will go to the convention with the most delegates is no longer an interesting one. It long ago shifted to whether Romney will get 1144 before the convention starts. Santorum's message is not that he can defeat Romney, it's that if you vote for Santorum, you are really voting for brokered convention and a Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, or Marco Rubio to be drafted. There's something in that. Romney doesn't poll well against Obama.

On the other hand, Romney's message is that if you vote for him, he can stop running negative ads against Santorum, and start running negative ads against Obama. Positive ads being considered a waste of money any more.
Given that, it'll be interesting to see Romney's choice for running mate.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr11-12, 05:14 PM
Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
Recently.
Here's a history showing that Romney has not been polling well against Obama for some time now.
Romney Vs Obama - historical

Click on "See All General Election: Romney vs. Obama Polling Data" to get older results.
mheslep
Apr11-12, 05:18 PM
PF Gold
Here's a history showing that Romney has not been polling well against Obama for some time now.
Romney Vs Obama - historical

Click on "See All General Election: Romney vs. Obama Polling Data" to get older results.
Yes I know, and Romney was actually pulling ahead of Obama before the primary blood baths started in earnest.
SHISHKABOB
Apr11-12, 05:24 PM
P: 614
Yes I know, and Romney was actually pulling ahead of Obama before the primary blood baths started in earnest.
You mean that little dip thing in the middle around 9/09/11? I'm not sure I'd call that "pulling ahead".
Jimmy Snyder
Apr11-12, 05:32 PM
Not according to the data I linked to. And that goes all the way back to April of last year. Which month do you find Romney pulling ahead in?
mheslep
Apr11-12, 05:35 PM
PF Gold
Not according to the data I linked to. And that goes all the way back to April of last year. Which month do you find Romney pulling ahead in?
September, October 2011. Then came the primary fights in earnest.
mheslep
Apr11-12, 05:38 PM
PF Gold
Great Romney response on the stump. No attempt to pander.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...for_obama.html
SHISHKABOB
Apr11-12, 05:43 PM
P: 614
Great Romney response on the stump.
She's not for "free stuff" though, she's for "free birth control"

Saying "free stuff" implies that the person wants all sorts of stuff. She's just asking for one thing that would be very helpful to her.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr11-12, 05:46 PM
September, October 2011. Then came the primary fights in earnest.
The first poll in Sept 2011 had Romney ahead by +4. The last poll in October had Obama ahead by +5. That is to say, Romney was pulling away, but in the wrong direction. The first primary fight took place two months later in January.

Edit: That +4 result at the beginning of September was the highest he would achieve throughout the months of September and October.
mheslep
Apr11-12, 08:30 PM
PF Gold
Yep Jan 3rd, and the first "my opponent is a fraud-moron-jerk" attack ad was run when? The first debate?
Gokul43201
Apr12-12, 03:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Great Romney response on the stump. No attempt to pander.
Ooh, bazinga! I'd like to see the look on the lady's face after that.

Register to reply