(Multiple Answer) Presidential Hypothetical Poll

In summary, the conversation revolves around the hypothetical scenario of President Bush being able to run for a third term and how that would affect people's preferences for the 2008 election. Some individuals express a preference for McCain over Bush, while others prefer Bush over McCain and the other Republican candidates. Some also mention Ron Paul as a potential candidate they would prefer over Bush. The conversation also touches on different views of the Constitution and the role of the President, as well as concerns about militarism and economic policies.

Who would you prefer to be President?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE RESPONDING TO THE MULTIPLE ANSWER POLL

If Bush could legally run for a third term (let's say Presidential term limits only prevented a fourth term), then how would that affect your preferences for this election? Assume also, that McCain and the other Republicans in the race would have been contesting a Primary battle against Bush with a platform as close to what they were running on as you imagine possible.

Would you prefer Bush over McCain in the Republican Primary? Or would you prefer one of the other candidates (Huckabee, Romney, Paul, etc.)? Please specify which one. And then, if Bush had won the Republican Primary, would you prefer him to Obama and/or Hillary?

NOTE: The poll allows you to pick more than one option. Choose all that you agree with. Do answer questions about the hypothetical Republican Primary even if you are registered Democrat (or even if you can not vote in the US).

Physics news on Phys.org
I would prefer Mccain to Bush, but not with Palin. So are we are assuming it's McCain with or without Palin?

You should have had Palin as a separate choice.

He can have my vote over her. She is totally unqualified for the office.

Otherwise I can't imagine the Devil we know can possibly be better than any of the others we don't.

This one was easy. Bush should be in jail.

As for Bush vs McCain-Palin - Bush with lipstick - that is not a choice.

Excuse me for being dense, but I don't see an option I would agree with...all of the choices start with "Prefer Bush..."

What if I don't prefer Bush?

None of the above

I'd prefer Bush to Ron Paul. At least Bush isn't completely insane.

Evo said:

I'll take a defender of the Constitution - Ron Paul - over a traitor, any day of the week.

There are a lot of different ways to see the constitution, though. I think that while Ron Paul is closer to some issues on the constitution than bush, the constitution does not force the US to have unmitigated capitalism as the basis of its economic policy and if anything there is room for different economies operating under the constitution.

Not even Bush wants to completely dismantle all programs to the poor, public libraries, medicare, social security, and so on.

The US has tried Laissez-Faire capitalism and, proportionally, there were more people in poverty and a greater inequality of wealth now than even today - although, I guess you could say the amount the rich had in those days failed in comparison. However, we are approaching great inequality even now with the destruction of the middle class.

I originally was interested in the Paul campaign but he, and especially his supporters, got more and more kooky as time went on.

This is actually a difficult poll.

Remember in 2000 when Bush said the he didn't want to enforce his world view on the rest of the world and said that he didn't believe in intervention, the idea that "this is how we're going to do things, and so should you."

Contrast this to McCain who is already militaristic. I've heard about McCain's temper and that even fellow Republicans are concerned about it - who knows what he'll do in the white house.

So, maybe Bush over McCain and Ron Paul. At least Ron Paul wouldn't start expanstionist, preemptive wars - but his laissez-faire capitalism is not favorable at all with me.

When you tell people that the only method to survive is work for a bunch of big corporations, themselves propped up by the government, with no chance of having your own government help you at all with your college education, or helping you in hard times, and so on, that is a form of slavery and that violates the thirteenth amendment.

He also has kooky views on AGW and evolution, and I do not think it's appropriate to have someone who is a creationist in the white house although Bush has said he support teaching creationism as well and it's his opinion that "God created the earth," when it's likely the Earth was created six billion years ago by cosmological means.

OrbitalPower said:
There are a lot of different ways to see the constitution, though. I think that while Ron Paul is closer to some issues on the constitution than bush, the constitution does not force the US to have unmitigated capitalism as the basis of its economic policy and if anything there is room for different economies operating under the constitution.

I'm talking about the primary job of the President to defend the Constitution, not economics.

Evo said:
I agree; Ron Paul does sound crazy!

I voted for Bush ahead of all the rest. I don't think he's a traitor. He talks like one, but lacks the guts to actually do it. Besides it would be inconvenient.

1. What is a "Presidential Hypothetical Poll"?

A Presidential Hypothetical Poll is a survey that asks individuals to vote for their preferred candidate in a hypothetical presidential election. This type of poll is often conducted before the actual presidential election takes place, and it allows researchers to gauge public opinion on potential candidates and their policies.

2. How are the candidates chosen for a Presidential Hypothetical Poll?

Candidates for a Presidential Hypothetical Poll are typically chosen by the research organization conducting the poll. They may select candidates from different political parties or include potential independent candidates. The chosen candidates are usually well-known figures in the political landscape.

3. How are respondents selected for a Presidential Hypothetical Poll?

Respondents for a Presidential Hypothetical Poll are typically selected at random from a larger population. This is done to ensure that the sample represents the overall population and to avoid any bias in the results. Respondents may be contacted through phone calls, online surveys, or in-person interviews.

4. How accurate are Presidential Hypothetical Polls?

The accuracy of Presidential Hypothetical Polls can vary depending on the sample size, the selection of candidates, and the methodology used. Generally, larger sample sizes and random selection of respondents can lead to more accurate results. However, it is important to note that these polls are not always indicative of the actual election results and should be interpreted with caution.

5. How are the results of a Presidential Hypothetical Poll used?

The results of a Presidential Hypothetical Poll are often used by political parties, candidates, and the media to gauge public opinion and make strategic decisions. They can also be used by researchers to track changes in public opinion over time and analyze the factors that influence voting behavior.