Register to reply

Proving convergence of 1/log(n)

by hivesaeed4
Tags: 1 or logn, convergence, proving
Share this thread:
hivesaeed4
Apr2-12, 11:14 PM
P: 217
Has anybody got any idea as to how to prove that Ʃ 1/(n(log(n))^p) converges? (where p>1)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
M Quack
Apr3-12, 02:44 AM
P: 669
0 < log(n) < n for n>3
DonAntonio
Apr3-12, 06:35 AM
P: 606
Quote Quote by hivesaeed4 View Post
Has anybody got any idea as to how to prove that Ʃ 1/(n(log(n))^p) converges? (where p>1)

First way, the integral test: [itex]\int_2^\inf \frac{1}{x\log^px} dx=\frac{\log^{1-p}(x)}{1-p}|_2^\inf \rightarrow \frac{log^{1-p}(2)}{p-1}[/itex] .

Second way, Cauchy's Condensation test: taking [itex]n=2^k[/itex] , the series's general term is [itex]\frac{1}{2^kk^p\log^p(2)}[/itex] , so multiplying this by [itex]2^k[/itex] we get [itex]\frac{1}{k^p\log^p(2)}[/itex] , which is a multiple of the series of [itex]\frac{1}{k^p}[/itex] , which we know converges for [itex]p>1[/itex] .

DonAntonio

hivesaeed4
Apr3-12, 09:32 AM
Proving convergence of 1/log(n)

Quote Quote by DonAntonio View Post
First way, the integral test: [itex]\int_2^\inf \frac{1}{x\log^px} dx=\frac{\log^{1-p}(x)}{1-p}|_2^\inf \rightarrow \frac{log^{1-p}(2)}{p-1}[/itex] .

Second way, Cauchy's Condensation test: taking [itex]n=2^k[/itex] , the series's general term is [itex]\frac{1}{2^kk^p\log^p(2)}[/itex] , so multiplying this by [itex]2^k[/itex] we get [itex]\frac{1}{k^p\log^p(2)}[/itex] , which is a multiple of the series of [itex]\frac{1}{k^p}[/itex] , which we know converges for [itex]p>1[/itex] .

DonAntonio
Thing is I've got to prove determine it's convergence from 1 to infinity.
hivesaeed4
Apr3-12, 09:33 AM
Just to clarify, the previous message was supposed to be:
Thing is I've got to determine it's convergence from 1 to infinity.
Office_Shredder
Apr3-12, 09:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
If the sum starts at 1, you have a problem because log(1)=0
M Quack
Apr3-12, 11:02 AM
P: 669
The sum from 1 to any fixed number will always converge (unless you divide by zero).
Therefore, if the sum from any fixed number to infinity converges, then the sum from 1 to infinity converges.

You can choose any fixed number you like. I chose 3 because 0<log(n) < n for all n>=3.

You can choose 11 if your log is base 10 rather than natural, or because, you know, usual amps only go up to 10, but yours goes all the way up to 11.

The sum from 3 to infinity of your series is smaller than the sum from 3 to infinity over 1/n^(p+1), which is smaller than 1/n^2 which we know converges.

Register to reply