Difficulty with understanding whether 1/n converges or diverges

In summary, the nth term test for divergence tells us that if the limit of the terms is not zero, the series diverges. However, this test is not always conclusive, and further tests may be necessary to determine convergence or divergence.
Travis Enigma
Hi,
I have a quick question about whether or not the infinite series of 1/n converges or diverges. My textbook tells me that it diverges,

but my textbook also says that by the nth term test if we take the limit from n to infinity of a series, if the limit value is not equal to zero the series diverges.

If we take the limit of 1/n, as n approached infinity shouldn't the series actually converge?

Obviously, I know that I'm wrong, but what's wrong with my justification. Does the nth term test not apply here?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
"If ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n## converges, then ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n=0##" is correct.

"If ##\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n=0##, then ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n## converges" is not correct.

If it's snowing, then it must be cold outside. But just because it's cold, it need not be snowing.

Likes Delta2
The nth term test does not guarantee convergence, it merely guarantees divergence if the limit of the terms is not zero or does not exist. You must use another test to determine if the series converges.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_test

Likes Delta2
But the Limit is zero, therefore by the nth term test we know it doesn't diverge. Right?

We may not know whether or not it converges, but it definitely doesn't diverge since the limit is zero and in order for it to diverge it must be nonzero?

Likes Delta2
Travis Enigma said:
But the Limit is zero, therefore by the nth term test we know it doesn't diverge. Right?

No. That's not what the test says. See my post 2.

Travis Enigma said:
No. If the limit of the terms is zero, then the test is inconclusive and you must use another test.

Likes mathwonk and Delta2
I understand now, thank you so much.

Likes Delta2
For a detailed explanation:

Likes Drakkith
Travis Enigma said:
I understand now, thank you so much.
Some tests involve equivalence of two things. For example:

##n## is an even integer if and only if ##n = 2k## for some integer ##k##

That test tells you that both:

1) If ##n## is even, then it can be written as ##n = 2k##.

2) If ##n## can be written as ##n = 2k##, then ##n## is even.

Some tests, however, only give you the "if" not the "only if". This applies to the divergence test:

If ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n \ne 0##, then ##\sum_{n= 1}^{\infty} a_n## diverges. This test does not tell you:

If ##\sum_{n= 1}^{\infty} a_n## diverges, then ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n \ne 0##. (WRONG!)

Which is the same as:

If ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = 0##, then ##\sum_{n= 1}^{\infty} a_n## converges. (WRONG!)

Another way to look at this is to identify the case where something is undecided or needs further tests:

1) If ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n \ne 0##, then ##\sum_{n= 1}^{\infty} a_n## diverges.

2) If ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = 0##, then we need further tests to decide whether ##\sum_{n= 1}^{\infty} a_n## converges or diverges.

Svein said:
For a detailed explanation:

I love Mathologer!

Travis Enigma said:
At the risk of repeating what others have said, many calculus textbooks refer to this test as the "Nth Term Test for Divergence," meaning that the test can be used to determine whether a series diverges. It cannot be used to determine that a given series converges.

There are two possible results:
  1. The series diverges -- this is the conclusion if ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n \ne 0## or the limit doesn't exist.
  2. The test is inconclusive -- this is the finding if ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##. The series could converge (e.g. ##\sum \frac 1{n^2}##) or it could diverge (e.g. ##\sum \frac 1 n##).

To make a stretched analogy, imagine:
The four sides test: if a polygon does not have four sides, then it's not a square.

If you have a polygon with four sides, this does not tell you if it's a square or not.

The test you are looking at here is similar. It sometimes tells you something does not converge. Other times it tells you nothing.

1. What is the definition of convergence and divergence in mathematics?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a sequence or series of numbers. A sequence is said to converge if its terms approach a specific limit as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a sequence is said to diverge if its terms do not approach a specific limit and instead, either increase without bound or oscillate between different values.

2. How can I determine if a sequence or series converges or diverges?

There are various tests and criteria that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence or series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the sequence or series and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the significance of the value 1/n when discussing convergence and divergence?

The value 1/n is often used as a general term in sequences and series to represent the reciprocal of the natural numbers. This value is important when discussing convergence and divergence because it can help determine the behavior of a sequence or series and whether it will converge or diverge.

4. How does the rate of change of a sequence or series affect its convergence or divergence?

The rate of change of a sequence or series can have a significant impact on its convergence or divergence. For example, a sequence with a decreasing rate of change may converge, while a sequence with an increasing rate of change may diverge. Additionally, the rate of change can also affect the applicability of certain convergence tests.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding whether 1/n converges or diverges?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of understanding the convergence and divergence of sequences and series. For example, in finance, understanding the convergence or divergence of investment returns can help make informed decisions. In physics, understanding the convergence or divergence of infinite series can help solve problems related to motion and energy. In general, understanding convergence and divergence can help in making predictions and analyzing patterns in various fields.