"unity" means just plain regular "1"?

by kahwawashay1
Tags: means, plain, regular, unity
kahwawashay1
Apr2-12, 08:39 PM
P: 96
Im not sure whether this is a physics or math question, but in many physics problems, instead of saying "1", the problem will say "unity", like "the sine of theta is unity" or the "index of refraction is unity". I am assuming "unity" means just plain regular "1"? Is there a particular reason for such funny word use?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
tiny-tim
Apr3-12, 05:01 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi kahwawashay1!
Quote Quote by kahwawashay1 View Post
I am assuming "unity" means just plain regular "1"? Is there a particular reason for such funny word use?
yes, just good ol' "1"

i'm not sure why, perhaps people think that if they write "the sine is one", the reader will think "one of what?", and if they write "1" it looks like I or l
or maybe they just like to use long words because "1" isn't big enough!
Vanadium 50
Apr3-12, 06:43 AM
Mentor
P: 15,570
Unity is not just "one". It is a "dimensionless one". You can have 1 meter or 1 kelvin or 1 candela, but none of these are properly called "unity".

Register to reply