Register to reply

How can my blog posts become visible?

by lugita15
Tags: blog, posts, visible
Share this thread:
lugita15
Apr6-12, 09:10 AM
P: 1,583
I just posted my first entry to my PhysicsForums blog. But it looks like it's not visible to others, because it needs "approval". How do I get my post approved?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Greg Bernhardt
Apr6-12, 10:15 AM
Admin
P: 9,329
I'll look at them now
lugita15
Apr6-12, 10:22 AM
Thanks Greg! For future reference, do I need to get each blog post I make approved?

And I encourage everyone to read my blog post here, if you want to learn about Bell's theorem.

Greg Bernhardt
Apr6-12, 10:51 AM
Admin
P: 9,329
How can my blog posts become visible?

A few years back we had trouble with blog spam and the only option left was to moderate all entries. I'll try to do a better job of accepting them. thanks!
lugita15
Apr6-12, 02:11 PM
I'm curious, what distinguishes blog posts and other forum posts from a moderation point of view? Is it that the blogs are less trafficked, so spam would naturally go undetected for longer?
dlgoff
Apr6-12, 05:08 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,704
Quote Quote by lugita15 View Post
I'm curious, what distinguishes blog posts and other forum posts from a moderation point of view?
Doesn't look like any difference.

Posting Guidelines to discuss, in the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion.
Rules
Evo
Apr6-12, 05:29 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
I'm curious, what distinguishes blog posts and other forum posts from a moderation point of view? Is it that the blogs are less trafficked, so spam would naturally go undetected for longer?
Spam is usually caught right away.

Blogs are mainly for posting thoughts that aren't really meant for discussion in the forum. It can be about what's happening in your life. It can be items you are interested in. It's your personal journal.
Gokul43201
Apr6-12, 06:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
So why is it necessary for blog entries to go through admin approval when regular posts don't? I have no idea how often blog entries are posted by the membership of the forums, but seems like a lot for work for admins to have to manually approve each one of them.
Evo
Apr6-12, 06:09 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
So why is it necessary for blog entries to go through admin approval when regular posts don't? I have no idea how often blog entries are posted by the membership of the forums, but seems like a lot for work for admins to have to manually approve each one of them.
It happens to new blog users.
lugita15
Apr6-12, 06:47 PM
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Doesn't look like any difference.

Rules
Obviously the rules still apply. I was wondering why it's necessary to treat blog posts differently moderation-wise.
Evo
Apr6-12, 07:37 PM
Mentor
Obviously the rules still apply. I was wondering why it's necessary to treat blog posts differently moderation-wise.
We don't, Forum posts for new posters quite often go into moderation.
Redbelly98
Apr6-12, 08:42 PM
Mentor
P: 12,070
Forum software is such that it's more cumbersome to moderate the blogs. We do notice the spam eventually and delete it -- if it's immediately visible then more spammers are attracted to post there.

Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
It was a lot of work to delete spam posted in the blogs every few minutes, which happened back a couple of years ago when some spammers took advantage of this loophole of easily posting spam in blogs of vBulletin-based forums. If a spammer has spammed many other vBulletin forums, they are prevented from making a regular post but not prevented from blogging.

Another advantage is that members who like to check out the blogs don't have to sift through the spam, or posting of homework and other questions that really should get asked by a regular forum post.
Gokul43201
Apr7-12, 05:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Thanks for the response Red. Mostly, I was checking that a potentially cumbersome and inefficient approval method wasn't being used for possibly archaic reasons.

Register to reply