P: 2,704
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
Very nice Gad Girl.
turbo
Apr6-12, 06:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Why are they especially desirable? I don't know because I was never an electric guitar player of any notable skill. Played acoustic guitar for years. Dabbled with bass and many other instruments, then eventually got into keyboards ... which I really like because of the compositional capabilities.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's because of the tones/resonances that one can produce with the Les Pauls. Waiting for your elaboration.
Sorry for the delay Thomas - that just slipped by me. The early Les Pauls were tone-monsters. Lots of sustain (due to the heavy bodies and the solid necks). The bodies were solid mahogany with carved maple caps. And the PAF pickups were wonderful. Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac) had one with one of the pickup magnets reversed, giving a distinctive "scooped midrange" tone when both pickups were in use at the same time. (BB King said that Green's guitar tone gave him the cold sweats.) When Green was rejecting the music business, he sold that guitar for a pittance to Gary Moore, of Thin Lizzy.
lisab
Apr6-12, 10:25 PM
Mentor
P: 2,979
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Very nice Gad Girl.
I agree! Very Mo-Town sound - love it!
Pythagorean
Apr6-12, 10:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262

ThomasT
Apr7-12, 08:41 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Sorry for the delay Thomas - that just slipped by me. The early Les Pauls were tone-monsters. Lots of sustain (due to the heavy bodies and the solid necks). The bodies were solid mahogany with carved maple caps. And the PAF pickups were wonderful. Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac) had one with one of the pickup magnets reversed, giving a distinctive "scooped midrange" tone when both pickups were in use at the same time. (BB King said that Green's guitar tone gave him the cold sweats.) When Green was rejecting the music business, he sold that guitar for a pittance to Gary Moore, of Thin Lizzy.
Thanks turbo, the technical details of this are a bit over my head. But I think I basically understand.
ThomasT
Apr7-12, 09:15 AM
P: 1,414
@ Pythagorean, listening to the middle tune from your post #2291, which I like better than the first tune (which I also liked), and don't suppose I'll like the third tune from that post better than this one ... but I'll let you know. Really like this middle one. Rhythmically, tonally, quite musically entertaining ... for me at least.

Ok, now I'm listening to the third tune. Very nice. Somewhat complex, some surprises, but its essence, its theme, is quite simply musically pleasing ... to me anyway. Gegrüßet seist du technologie.
Pythagorean
Apr7-12, 11:23 AM
PF Gold
Yeah Cat Rats is one I can always listen to. Not necissarily my favorite, but I never don't feel like hearing it ya know?
turbo
Apr7-12, 12:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Thanks turbo, the technical details of this are a bit over my head. But I think I basically understand.
Back then, there were a couple of guitars that were dominant in Rock and Roll. One was the Fender Stratocaster. Ash body with bolt-on neck and single-coil pickups. The other was the Les Paul. (Solid mahogany body with carved maple cap and glued-in mahogany neck.) The Les Paul also had double-coil humbucking pickups that were quite resistant to line-noise, buzz from neon lights, etc. If you could stand wearing one on a strap all night (massive!) you could get pretty impressive tone and volume from the little amps of the day.
bpatrick
Apr7-12, 01:02 PM
P: 125

Rach III performed by Arcady Volodos and the best orchestra in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4PhQaQGh0
nevere
Apr9-12, 12:30 PM
P: 16
deftones - digital bath
deftones - house of flies
Pythagorean
Apr9-12, 01:45 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by nevere View Post
deftones - digital bath
deftones - house of flies
the whole adrenaline album was pretty good
drizzle
Apr9-12, 02:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
Pythagorean
Apr9-12, 04:53 PM
PF Gold
excellent cover:

and the original (I like the cover better):

Pythagorean
Apr9-12, 04:56 PM
PF Gold
some more Elliot Smith:

and his old band heatmiser:

Adyssa
Apr9-12, 09:08 PM
P: 188

I can't understand a word she says, it's amazing. :)
Borek
Apr10-12, 02:52 PM
Admin
P: 23,400

You won't understand a word she sings, but it is still amazing.

Register to reply