Underrated Songs Because Of Its Popularity

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: Baker Street is one of my all time favorites. The entire album is good. Viacom keeps taking the video down. :grumpy:In summary, these tunes had great commercial success, but if one examines each one very carefully (melody, lyrics, singing, production, etc), one can easily see that each of them is a finely crafted song in its own right. Commercial success and artistic merit are not mutually exclusive.
How about Enya? In the Rain or may it be for instance. Songs that deserve to be in this thread but likely don't qualify.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
How about Enya? In the Rain for instance. A song that deserves to be in this thread but likely doesn'y qualify.
For me, it's Oronoco Flow. When spawn was a baby, she would stand in front of the tv and sing along whenever the video came on.

I edited my post Evo, with a second song of Enya in the Lord of the Rings.

Another commercial high stand that may have been affected by it's popularity: Time to say goodbye

Last edited:
Neil Diamond’s schmaltzy 1978 duet with Barbra Streisand — but there’s another notable, much more palatable duet on Diamond’s latest record, Home Before Dark.

Diamond hooked up with http://dixiechicksonline.com" singer Natalie Maines for Another Day (That Time Forgot), no doubt at the suggestion of his producer, Rick Rubin, who worked with the Chicks on their so-called comeback album, 2006’s Taking The Long Way.

The two singers sang the song together in the studio.

“A piece of music is a living thing; it’s not cut in stone,” Diamond said. “And when two people sing together, they should be there together and preferably looking at each other and enjoying the moment. All of which both Natalie and I did. It was a lot of fun.”

After making his past two albums with Rubin, Diamond hasn’t ruled out a third record.

“Yes, I have thought about the next album, but I haven’t done anything about it,” he said. “And as far as working with Rick again, yes, I would love to work with Rick. I think, we did a pretty good job on the first two albums and that can only get better and I hope we can work together some more.”

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Little Wing has escaped some of the curse of "too popular" because after Jimi died, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray covered it at different times, bubbling it up into radio play-lists for a 2nd and 3rd time. The best part was that both covers were individualized to the performers - enough-so that although Jimi's version got additional air-play in the wake on the covers, there really wasn't radio-hit-fatigue because each version had great stuff going for it.

I really prefer SRV's version of Little Wing to Jimi's, no offense to Jimi, just like Stevie's better.

And "Hey there Delilah" by the Plain White T's fits in here too, IMO.