by kpraneethin00
Tags: current, ibbase, iccollector, ieemitter, ieib
Share this thread:
kpraneethin00
Apr8-12, 01:36 AM
P: 2
I have three doubts in BJT:
1). in BJT Ie=Ib+Ic ; Ie-emitter current; Ib-base current; Ic-collector current
then i find in many circuits, collector current is given to load, if the emitter current is greater than the collector current, we can connect the emitter terminal to the load, to get more current...

2). why the collector region is large in BJT

3). why the collector region is moderately doped when compared to highly doped emitter
Please help me in this
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Future phones to use blood and speech to monitor HIV, stress, nutrition
Neuron circuit may enable pitch perception applications
Quasi-distributed temperature sensors from draw-tower fabrication technology
Jony130
Apr8-12, 05:32 AM
P: 409
Quote Quote by kpraneethin00 View Post
then i find in many circuits, collector current is given to load, if the emitter current is greater than the collector current, we can connect the emitter terminal to the load, to get more current...
Sometimes we connect the load to emitter, Google emitter follower. But then we lose the voltage gain.
Also kept in mind that the emitter current is greater than the collector current just by a small amount of a base current. So for BJT that have a large current gain β the difference is not significant. Ic/Ie = β/(β+1) for β = 100 -->Ic/Ie = 100/101 = 0.990099009
dlgoff
Apr8-12, 08:55 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
2). why the collector region is large in BJT

3). why the collector region is moderately doped when compared to highly doped emitter
Please help me in this

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ds/trans2.html

yungman
Apr8-12, 12:37 PM
P: 3,898
In BJT Ie=Ib+Ic ; Ie-emitter current; Ib-base current; Ic-collector current

You have to be careful in how the BJT works. Collector current IS CONTROLLED by the emitter current. You design the circuit to setup the emitter current to get the collector current. Collector has very high output impedance where emitter is very low output impedance. Collector is a controlled current source and emitter is a voltage source. Collector current is controlled by the Vbe drop. Yes, Ie=Ib+Ic, but

[tex]I_c=I_s e^{[\frac{V_{BE}}{V_T}]}[/tex]

Emitter being a voltage source, the current is govern by the voltage drop across the resistor connects to the emitter. Collector current reflects the emitter current.

Register to reply