chaotic system w/ initial condition

by Brown Arrow
Tags: chaotic, classical mechanics, physics
Brown Arrow
Apr9-12, 03:25 PM
P: 101
so i have been studying chaotic system in class, and i just want to know if we change the initial conditions of a chaotic system can it become non-chaotic?

I think yes because, chaotic system is sensitive to initial condition hence it would have an effect on the chaotic behavior.

I'm I right? i have a feeling I'm wrong.

:/ I'm contradicting my self
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Q_Goest
Apr9-12, 05:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,878
Quote Quote by Brown Arrow View Post
so i have been studying chaotic system in class, and i just want to know if we change the initial conditions of a chaotic system can it become non-chaotic?

I think yes because, chaotic system is sensitive to initial condition hence it would have an effect on the chaotic behavior.
Hi Arrow. I'm no expert on chaotic systems but isn't a pencil balanced on its point a chaotic system?
Ref:
RIGB.org
The Frontiers of Science
If so, then what happens if the initial conditions of the perfectly vertical pencil were to be changed?
Brown Arrow
Apr9-12, 05:40 PM
P: 101
thanks for the reply Q Goest.

umm yes that is true it will no longer be chaotic.

guess i did not specify the system :/

I had a damped driven pendulum and Duffing Oscillator,

I ran some plotting (in python) for it and changed the initial condition. what once was a chaotic system became non-chaotic after the change in initial condition.

so is it safe to assume that chaotic system can become non-chaotic depending on the initial condition? from the reference you gave Q Goest i think the answer is yes.

Filip Larsen
Apr9-12, 06:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 946

chaotic system w/ initial condition

In short, for a (dissipative) dynamic system with a given fixed set of parameters there can in general be one or more attractors (with at least one of these being a chaotic attractor a.k.a. strange attractor if the system is to be chaotic) each with an associated basin of attraction. If the system in addition to the chaotic attractor(s) has a non-chaotic attractor (say, a fix point) then there obviously must be some initial conditions, namely those in the basic of attraction for this non-chaotic attractor, that will lead to a non-chaotic trajectory.

For the Duffing Oscillator (Duffing's Equation) I believe there are parameters for which the system has both chaotic and non-chaotic trajectories, and in those cases you will get chaotic or non-chaotic trajectory depending on the initial conditions. For instance, it looks like there should be both a chaotic and non-chaotic attractor for k = 0.2 and B = 1.2 (liftet from Ueda's parameter map for Duffing's Equation as it is shown in [1]).

[1] Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, Thompson and Steward, Wiley, 2002.

Register to reply