Advice on PhD programs

by deloprator2000
Tags: advice, programs
deloprator2000
Apr9-12, 10:05 PM
P: 15
Hello, I am deciding on which PhD program to accept, I have narrowed it down to to three choices:

1. UC Merced physics Program

2. Nebraska University at Lincoln

3. Kansas State University in Manhattan Kansas.

I am leaning towards Nebraska, though I am still interested in UC Merced. UC Merced is in California, and is a UC, though the department is small and the areas of research are limited. Nebraska has a larger department, more areas of research and more equipment and a machine shop, though some people many not consider it to be the most prestigious. Kansas State is nationally ranked, good labratories and many areas of research, though I am not so convinced about certain aspects of Manhattan Kansas.

So, which program would you recommend?

Thank You
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
jbmiller
Apr9-12, 10:45 PM
P: 122
My Mother went to K-State, theres absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to Manhattan. The program there is incredible and I would completely recommend going there.
Woopydalan
Apr9-12, 11:51 PM
P: 746
UC Merced is in california, but its in the middle of nowhere with farmland everywhere within a 100 mile radius in all directions. It's also the worst UC. It's not what you think of when you think of California

mege
Apr10-12, 12:15 AM
P: 193

Advice on PhD programs

I would guess that the cost of living in Lincoln, NE and Manhattan, KS will be significantly less than in Merced. Might want to weigh that as well.

Also, being 'in the middle of nowhere' with limited cultural interactions can be a good thing. You're less likely to be distracted by a trip to a nearby city (in the case of Merced) and will be forced to study/work at the university a little more.
Stengah
Apr10-12, 01:14 AM
P: 227
UC Merced has only existed for 7 years, and as far as I know has basically no reputation in anything. That's what scares me. I have a professor who did his Ph.D. at Kansas State and had nothing but fantastic things to say about the program. Of course that was in the late 70's and early 80's but they definitely have something going on there. It would be between Kansas State and Nebraska for me.

Register to reply