Will a low ranked masters hurt my PhD admissions?

In summary, the speaker has a weak background in CS from their undergraduate studies but was accepted into a master's program ranked between 65 and 85. They appreciate the program for accepting them despite their weaker background, its location, affordability, and potential research opportunities. However, they are concerned about the program's ranking and its impact on their chances of being accepted into more competitive PhD programs. The speaker also mentions their experience in physics and the importance of excelling in their master's program if they want to move on to a PhD. They suggest looking into where graduates of the program have ended up to gauge its reputation.
snailguy
My background in CS was weak in undergrad, but I went to a decent undergrad (within the top 30 UNSWR). I got into a master's program that is ranked between 65 and 85 in CS (wide range to keep anonymous, but that general tier). I like the program because they accepted me despite my weaker background, it's near where I'm located, it's cheaper, and it looks like I'd have great research opportunities since, although it's a smaller department, it's an R1 university.

With that said, I know CS is very competitive. If I wanted to go on for a PhD, assuming I (maybe) had a paper published plus a good thesis in this program, would the low ranking of the program still hurt my chances at programs PhD programs ranked 30 and above (and all programs, more generally)? Please be brutally honest - I have not committed yet and am weighing other options.
Would this program be considered low ranking, even though the university it's housed in is a "name university" (within the top 30 nationally)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My experience is with physics, not CS. I would argue that if you go this route in physics, where people go straight from BS to PhD, if you enter a MS program, you damn well better ace it. This goes double if you are moving up in your PhD program. You absolutely do not want anyone on the admissions committee to say "He could barely handle East Podunk State. How will he handle it here?"

Likes Dr. Courtney
One way to answer to a question like this is to look up where graduates of your current master's program have ended up. Most schools try to track their graduates. If they typically get into PhD programs that are "ranked 30 and above" then that's a reasonable expectation. If you go back over the last 5 years and not one graduate has gotten into any PhD program, that says something else.

Likes Dr. Courtney

1. Will a low ranked masters program affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

It is possible that a low ranked masters program may have some impact on your PhD admissions, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also important factors that can outweigh the ranking of your masters program.

2. Can I still get into a top PhD program with a low ranked masters degree?

Yes, it is still possible to get into a top PhD program with a low ranked masters degree. Admissions committees look at a variety of factors, including research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement, rather than solely focusing on the ranking of your masters program.

3. How can I mitigate the impact of a low ranked masters program on my PhD admissions?

One way to mitigate the impact of a low ranked masters program is to gain research experience outside of your program. This can include internships, independent research projects, or volunteering in a lab. Additionally, strong letters of recommendation from professors and researchers who can speak to your abilities and potential can also help mitigate the impact of a low ranked masters program.

4. Will a low GPA in my masters program affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

A low GPA in your masters program may have some impact on your PhD admissions, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. If you have a strong research background and can demonstrate your potential for success in a PhD program, a low GPA may not be as significant of a factor.

5. Should I explain the ranking of my masters program in my personal statement?

If you feel that the ranking of your masters program may have a negative impact on your PhD admissions, it may be beneficial to address it in your personal statement. You can explain any challenges or limitations of your program and highlight any accomplishments or experiences that demonstrate your potential for success in a PhD program.