Register to reply

Chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin

by Albertgauss
Tags: chemicals, freeze, kelvin
Share this thread:
Albertgauss
Apr7-12, 06:33 PM
P: 75
Does anyone know of a reference to a list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K? I know lots of organic molecules do, but I don't know which ones. I also can find the freezing points of all the elements pretty easy, but chemicals are proving more elusive.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ice cream goes Southern, okra extracts may increase shelf-life
The fluorescent fingerprint of plastics
Researchers develop models to study polyelectrolytes, including DNA and RNA
Mike H
Apr7-12, 07:25 PM
P: 485
Quote Quote by Albertgauss View Post
Does anyone know of a reference to a list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K? I know lots of organic molecules do, but I don't know which ones. I also can find the freezing points of all the elements pretty easy, but chemicals are proving more elusive.
Alfa Aesar just released a rather large amount of chemical melting point data the other year as part of an "open access" project. If you Google that, you should be able to find that information - as well as other related data sets that are part of this project.

My recollection is that you are probably best off not holding your breath. If you were looking for something around 100 K, you'd have better luck - silanes and certain conjugated organic chemicals can freeze around that point. Even methane freezes at around 90 K (as memory serves).

If you find anything interesting, though, please share! I'd sincerely love to see what you dig up.
mcodesmart
Apr10-12, 03:06 PM
P: 34
CRC handbook of chemistry could be a good place to look

Bob S
Apr10-12, 04:29 PM
P: 4,663
Chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin

This is a list of elements, http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-cha...ting-point.htm, but it does not include deuterium, which is about 19 kelvin.

Register to reply