Observing Satellites - A Journey of Discovery

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Heavens Above website and app for observing flares in the sky. Some participants have had success in seeing bright flares and have even dragged others outside to witness them. The maximum brightness of flares is believed to be -9 and some have seen flares during daylight hours. One participant even shared a humorous story about using a flare event to prove their space origins to their family.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Does anyone else regularly observe them?

I started off slowly, using the Heavens Above website. But everyone knows it's a gateway site.

Now I have the app on my phone. I can get alerts in time to run outside in my socks to see them, or drag my entire family outside to show them. That's right, I'm not just an addict; I'm a dealer too.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Um, regularly? No, but I did work at it for a month or two a couple of years ago until I got a good pic.

I was watching them regularly for a while. They're awesome. I had an app and everything.

iridiumflare00.jpg

Niiiiiice.

Do you know what the magnitude on that flare was projected to be? Best I've ever seen is -9.

No idea, it was soooo long ago.

Then, I have the information about when and where the picture was taken, so probably it can be checked.

Edit: I guess it was at least -1 or -2, as I don't look up if they are darker than that.

Last edited:
I really enjoy watching them, and also use the Heavens-Above site regularly. I do think the maximum brightness from what I've read is -9. I think I've seen a daylight flare some years back as well, but did not check the computer to confirm.
My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.

NeuronsAtWork said:
My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.

Yeah. I did the same thing with my kid! :rofl:

1. What is the purpose of observing satellites?

The purpose of observing satellites is to gather data and information about Earth and its surroundings, such as weather patterns, climate change, natural disasters, and other environmental changes. This data can also be used for navigation, communication, and military purposes.

2. How are satellites observed?

Satellites can be observed using ground-based telescopes, radar systems, or other space-based instruments. They can also be tracked and monitored using specialized software and tracking stations.

3. What types of satellites are typically observed?

There are various types of satellites that can be observed, including weather satellites, communication satellites, navigation satellites, and remote sensing satellites. Each type serves a different purpose and has specific instruments and sensors for data collection.

4. What can we learn from observing satellites?

Observing satellites can provide valuable insights into various aspects of Earth and its atmosphere, such as weather patterns, climate change, natural disasters, and the effects of human activities on the environment. It can also help us better understand our solar system and the universe.

5. How do observing satellites benefit society?

Observing satellites play a crucial role in our daily lives, providing us with important information for weather forecasting, disaster management, communication, and navigation. They also help scientists and researchers gather data for various studies and contribute to our understanding of the world and beyond.