Register to reply

Iridium Flares

by DaveC426913
Tags: flares, iridium
Share this thread:
DaveC426913
Apr11-12, 07:50 PM
P: 15,319
Does anyone else regularly observe them?

I started off slowly, using the Heavens Above website. But everyone knows it's a gateway site.

Now I have the app on my phone. I can get alerts in time to run outside in my socks to see them, or drag my entire family outside to show them. That's right, I'm not just an addict; I'm a dealer too.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Despite extensive analysis, Fermi bubbles defy explanation
Companion planets can increase old worlds' chance at life
Hubble shows farthest lensing galaxy yields clues to early universe
russ_watters
Apr11-12, 08:02 PM
Mentor
P: 22,252
Um, regularly? No, but I did work at it for a month or two a couple of years ago until I got a good pic.
Pengwuino
Apr11-12, 08:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
I was watching them regularly for a while. They're awesome. I had an app and everything.

Borek
Apr12-12, 01:47 AM
Admin
P: 23,406
Iridium Flares

DaveC426913
Apr12-12, 08:09 AM
Niiiiiice.

Do you know what the magnitude on that flare was projected to be? Best I've ever seen is -9.
Borek
Apr12-12, 08:15 AM
Admin
P: 23,406
No idea, it was soooo long ago.

Then, I have the information about when and where the picture was taken, so probably it can be checked.

Edit: I guess it was at least -1 or -2, as I don't look up if they are darker than that.
NeuronsAtWork
Apr12-12, 01:10 PM
P: 58
I really enjoy watching them, and also use the Heavens-Above site regularly. I do think the maximum brightness from what I've read is -9. I think I've seen a daylight flare some years back as well, but did not check the computer to confirm.
My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.
DaveC426913
Apr12-12, 01:20 PM
Quote Quote by NeuronsAtWork View Post
My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.
Yeah. I did the same thing with my kid!

Register to reply