Iridium Flares

by DaveC426913
Tags: flares, iridium
DaveC426913
Apr11-12, 07:50 PM
P: 15,325
Does anyone else regularly observe them?

I started off slowly, using the Heavens Above website. But everyone knows it's a gateway site.

Now I have the app on my phone. I can get alerts in time to run outside in my socks to see them, or drag my entire family outside to show them. That's right, I'm not just an addict; I'm a dealer too.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
A star's early chemistry shapes life-friendly atmospheres
Unique pair of supermassive black holes in an ordinary galaxy discovered
Red stars and big bulges: How black holes shape galaxies
russ_watters
Apr11-12, 08:02 PM
Mentor
P: 22,008
Um, regularly? No, but I did work at it for a month or two a couple of years ago until I got a good pic.
Pengwuino
Apr11-12, 08:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
I was watching them regularly for a while. They're awesome. I had an app and everything.

Borek
Apr12-12, 01:47 AM
Admin
P: 22,710

Iridium Flares

DaveC426913
Apr12-12, 08:09 AM
Niiiiiice.

Do you know what the magnitude on that flare was projected to be? Best I've ever seen is -9.
Borek
Apr12-12, 08:15 AM
Admin
P: 22,710
No idea, it was soooo long ago.

Then, I have the information about when and where the picture was taken, so probably it can be checked.

Edit: I guess it was at least -1 or -2, as I don't look up if they are darker than that.
NeuronsAtWork
Apr12-12, 01:10 PM
P: 58
I really enjoy watching them, and also use the Heavens-Above site regularly. I do think the maximum brightness from what I've read is -9. I think I've seen a daylight flare some years back as well, but did not check the computer to confirm.
My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.
DaveC426913
Apr12-12, 01:20 PM
Quote Quote by NeuronsAtWork View Post
My best story--I had researched an upcoming flare event that was going to be roughly -8 and close to overhead from my home at around 8:00 pm. I set my watch to GMT and about a minute beforehand dragged my (ex)wife out into the backyard and pointed to a patch of sky. Almost to the second we had a very bright flash--she was dumbfounded. She always thought I was from outer space anyway; I just told her I'd set up with my buds to shine a light from their ship to prove it.
Yeah. I did the same thing with my kid!

Register to reply