Register to reply

Good fluid mechanics book?

by jehan60188
Tags: book, fluid, mechanics
Share this thread:
jehan60188
Apr12-12, 06:00 PM
P: 204
I'm taking fluid mechanics in the fall, and I hear the professor is a real pain. I want to prepare over the summer by getting exposure to the material.
I'm in an undergraduate program, and have all the math I need (though it's been a while since differential equations, so I'm actually re-learning that this summer, too!). I'm highly motivated, and have lots of time (this economy is so bad, that I can't find a summer job)

any suggestions would be appreciated!

course description "Introduction and fundamentals of fluid statics, integral form and control volume analysis, differential analysis and potential flow, incompressible viscous internal and external flow, and compressible flow."

thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
boneh3ad
Apr12-12, 07:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,491
What major are you? The best book will depend partially on that.
huntoon
Apr12-12, 07:20 PM
P: 145
A History and Philosophy of Fluid Mechanics
by G. A. Tokaty

http://www.amazon.com/History-Philos.../dp/0486681033

jehan60188
Apr12-12, 10:23 PM
P: 204
Good fluid mechanics book?

I'm in a mechanical engineering program, but everyone in the engineering department has to take the class- an undergrad degree is just a prep course for the FE exam, right?
boneh3ad
Apr12-12, 10:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,491
Quote Quote by jehan60188 View Post
an undergrad degree is just a prep course for the FE exam, right?
Um... no...

At any rate, I learned originally from Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson, Okiishi and Young as a mechanical engineering undergraduate. It was pretty good. I don't recall how deep it goes into compressible flow though.
firavia
Apr13-12, 12:59 PM
P: 136
Hello, if you need something really useful in fluid mechanical engineering and thermal engineering, you can check my website, it contain a small library of different subjects only in mechanical engineering:
http://www.firavia.com/mecheng.html
http://www.firavia.com/heat.html
S_Happens
Apr13-12, 08:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 302
I have the Dover book pictured above and although I only read halfway through it before I set it down at the beginning of this semester, I can tell you that it is probably not the book you are looking for. It is simply an interesting read on the history of the subject.

I'm a mechanical engineering student as well, but I can't understand how you came up with your assumption about an undergrad degree and the FE exam.
potto
Sep29-12, 10:17 PM
P: 4
You can get several book in fluid mechamics
at www.potto.org for free.
anandtr2006
Sep30-12, 12:25 AM
P: 2
Fluid Mechanics by Cengel is certainly a very good book. As for exams are concerned, i think Fluid Mechanics b Rajput is better
mushtaqwani
Sep30-12, 12:18 PM
P: 2
Fluid Mechanics by R.k . BANSAL

Register to reply