Fluid mechanics book recommendation for new grad

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has been accepted into grad school for mechanical engineering and needs to become familiar with fluid mechanics in a short amount of time. They are looking for book recommendations and some suggestions are Grangers book on fluid mechanics, Fluid Mechanics by Kundu, Cohen, and Dowling, and Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. Another suggestion is to check out the books "Basics of Fluid Mechanics" and "Compressible Flow" by Bar-Meir, which are available for free on www.potto.org.
amalak
Hey all,

I'm a Math major (most of my coursework was in PDEs) and just got accepted into Grad school (yay) for Mechanical Engineering. I need to be very familiar with fluid mechanics and have about 5 months to do so. Trouble is, the last fluid mechanics course I took was about 3-4 years ago and my physics is quite rusty.

I'm looking for suggestions for a book (or books) to take me from the very basics (I really don't remember anything about it) to a level expected of someone who majored in Mechanical Engineering and possibly beyond. I'll be covering some as my coursework, but I prefer to be very thorough and prepared.

Worked examples generally are the most instructive for me, but I'm looking for any books that users would recommend.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Grangers book on fluid mechanics is the best introductory level book. It is by Dover so its only ~$20 and it is old school. Buy this book if you want to learn the core material.

Transport Phenomena, by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. This book has stood the test of time for over 50 years, and was recently updated to include recent developments.

Chet

I would suggest that you check the "Basic of Fluid Mechanics" by Bar-Meir at www.potto.org with no contest the book contains the best chapters on several topics such as Static and integral equations/analysis and dimensional analysis. While you are there you should also grep the compressible flow book. These books are free and available in several formats.

1. What is the best fluid mechanics book for a new graduate?

There are many great fluid mechanics books available for new graduates. Some popular options include "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Fox and McDonald, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Munson, Young, and Okiishi, and "Fluid Mechanics for Engineers" by Daugherty, Franzini, and Finnemore. Ultimately, the best book will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

2. Are there any fluid mechanics books specifically designed for new graduates?

There are some fluid mechanics books that are geared towards new graduates or those with limited background in the subject. For example, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce Munson is often used as an introductory textbook for students with little prior knowledge of fluid mechanics.

3. What level of difficulty should I expect from a fluid mechanics book for new graduates?

The difficulty level of a fluid mechanics book for new graduates will vary depending on the specific book and your background knowledge. Generally, these books are written with the assumption that the reader has a basic understanding of calculus and physics. However, some books may be more advanced and require a deeper understanding of these subjects.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a fluid mechanics book for new graduates?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement your studies with a fluid mechanics book. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and various YouTube channels that offer lectures and tutorials on fluid mechanics topics.

5. Should I purchase a physical or digital copy of a fluid mechanics book for new graduates?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference. Physical copies allow for easier note-taking and highlighting, while digital copies can be more convenient for searching and accessing on different devices. Some books also offer interactive features in their digital versions. Consider your learning style and study habits when deciding which format to purchase.