Register to reply

Locus of light falling on a plane surface

by hale2bopp
Tags: falling, light, locus, plane, surface
Share this thread:
hale2bopp
Apr13-12, 11:47 PM
P: 21
When there is a lamp on a wall and the light from the lamp falls on the wall, we notice that the shape formed by the light is a hyperbola. I would like to know what the explanation for this is.
Also, when you have a convex lens and you kee it flat on a horizontal surface, and sunlight falls at an angle on to the lens, you can see a curve of light on the surface that looks to me very much like a hyperbola.
A hyperbola is the locus of a point moving such that the difference of its distances from two fixed points is constant. That makes sense when you're wondering why the locus of an interference pattern should be a hyperbola, because the path difference is constant. But I can't relate this to the phenomenon of light falling on a wall, or the lens thing.
Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
haruspex
Apr14-12, 12:09 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,873
I assume the light has a shade with a circular opening.
The light passing through the opening projects a cone.
The intersection of a cone with a plane produces various "conic sections" depending on the angle.
If the axis of the shade's opening is parallel to the wall then you will see a hyperbola.
If you tilt the shade down so as to direct the light more fully onto the wall, at a critical angle (i.e. when the light falling furthest from the wall is going straight down) it becomes a parabola.
Tilt a fraction more and you have an ellipse.

In general, conic sections are the curves that satisfy quadratic equations. The locus of intersection of a cone with a plane will also satisfy a quadratic equation. And the locus of a point that's always further from one fixed point than another by a constant amount is also a quadratic equation.

Lenses are ground with spherical surfaces - more quadratics. So it wouldn't surprise me if that also gives you hyperbolae, though I haven't checked it in detail.

Btw, have you noticed the pattern light from a point source forms at the bottom of a cylindrical cup? No conic this time.
hale2bopp
Apr14-12, 04:26 AM
P: 21
Thank you so much!! This explained things perfectly. I will try to check out the light source at the bottom of a spherical cup. :)

haruspex
Apr14-12, 05:17 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 9,873
Locus of light falling on a plane surface

Quote Quote by hale2bopp View Post
Thank you so much!! This explained things perfectly. I will try to check out the light source at the bottom of a spherical cup. :)
Actually I said cylindrical, the usual shape for a mug, and the light source is outside the mug. It's the pattern produced at the bottom that's interesting.

Register to reply