Lens Math for a Semicircle and Vesica Piscis?

• Thread starter shintashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
In summary, a lens with a spherical shape has several aberrations that have to be accounted for when designing optical systems. If the lens has the shape of a semicircle, the primary aberration is known as spherical aberration. If the lens has the shape of a Vesica Piscis, the primary aberration is known as vesicular aberration.
shintashi
Hi, I'm trying to find the way that light (sunlight?) distorts through a lens with a diameter of 1, if the lens has the shape of a semicircle (width of 1/2), and if the lens has the shape of a Vesica Piscis (width of 1/√3).

if you need units, yards works.

I'm also curious about how that light changes if the semicircle becomes flatter, turning into a circle segment instead of a full semi circle, and the same for the Vesica Piscis Lens.

I saw the equations on wiki for lenses but they don't seem to interface well with optometry calculators so I wasn't able to check my work or see any patterns. For now, I'd just like to know what light does passing through a lens with either a flat + curve, or with curve + curve.

I understand if the light source is close like a candle or lamp it turns upside down. I'm trying to understand more how sunlight focuses, since it approximates an ideal straight line before converging or diverging through a lens.

-τħαηκς

Science news on Phys.org
A lens with a spherical shape (a semicircle would be a plano-convex lens and a Vesica Piscis would be a bi-convex lens whose surfaces are both spherical) has several inherent aberrations that have to be taken into account when designing optical systems. The primary aberration is known as spherical aberration, where the light passing through the edges of the lens is brought to a focus closer to the lens than light passing through near the center. In addition to spherical aberration, a spherical lens also suffers from coma and astigmatism if my memory serves, and, like all lenses, it also suffers from chromatic aberration.

A list of common aberrations can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_aberration

shintashi said:
I'm also curious about how that light changes if the semicircle becomes flatter, turning into a circle segment instead of a full semi circle, and the same for the Vesica Piscis Lens.

As long as the lens surfaces remain spherical, the aberrations remain. However, a more strongly curved surface generates aberrations of a larger magnitude than a less strongly curved surface. For lenses and mirrors whose focal lengths are about 10x more than their diameter some of these aberrations become slight enough to ignore. For example, a spherical mirror is often used in small reflecting telescopes since the effects of diffraction limit the image quality more than spherical aberration.

Bending the surface to another type of conic section, such a paraboloid, hyperboloid, or ellipsoid, is often used to correct for various aberrations. I have a telescope which has two non-spherical mirrors that, together, greatly decrease most of the major aberrations that telescopes often suffer from.

1. What is a semicircle and vesica piscis?

A semicircle is half of a circle, with a diameter that divides the circle into two equal halves. A vesica piscis is a geometric shape created by overlapping two equal circles, where the center of each circle lies on the circumference of the other.

2. How is lens math used for a semicircle and vesica piscis?

Lens math, also known as geometric optics, is used to determine the properties of lenses and their effects on light. In the case of a semicircle and vesica piscis, lens math can be used to calculate the focal length, image formation, and magnification of the lens created by the shape.

3. What is the formula for calculating the area of a semicircle and vesica piscis?

The formula for calculating the area of a semicircle is A = ½πr², where r is the radius of the semicircle. For a vesica piscis, the formula is A = (π/2 - √3/4)r², where r is the radius of the circles used to create the shape.

4. How do you find the radius of a semicircle and vesica piscis?

The radius of a semicircle is half the length of the diameter. For a vesica piscis, the radius can be found by dividing the distance between the centers of the two circles by 2.

5. What are some real-world applications of lens math for a semicircle and vesica piscis?

Lens math for a semicircle and vesica piscis can be used in the design and construction of lenses for cameras, telescopes, and other optical devices. It can also be applied in the study of light and its behavior in different mediums, such as water or air.