Register to reply

Fortran passing parameters to a function of one variable

Share this thread:
Thereso
Apr15-12, 04:22 PM
P: 1
Hi all! I have a question about fortran. So far in my coding, if i wanted to define a function ( say f(x) ) I would manually set a grid for x, and then define f for each x value, so that i would have a vector for f and a vector for x. However, I'd now like to use the 'function' command, so i can call f for ANY x.

I'll do my best to explain my question: say I define a function g(x,y) by

g(x,y) = x**2 + y

and I want to define another function f(x), which is EQUAL to g(x,y) but with y held constant. I want to use a set of subroutines on the function f, but the problem is that all of the subroutines call f as a function of one variable and not two. So basically I want to pass y as a parameter into a function defining f(x). Later I will change y and then repeat. One way I can do it is to write y to a data file, and then read it from inside the function f:

program lolz
implicit none
real, external :: f
real y,c,x
! g(x,y) = x^2 + y
!calculate g(3.0,2.0)
y=2.0
open(26,file='y.dat',status='unknown')
write(26,*) (y)
close(26)
!test
x=3.0
write(*,*)"f(x) is",f(x)

end

function f (x)
implicit none
real f
real x,y
open(26,file='y.dat',status='unknown')
read(26,*) y
close(26)
f= x**2.0 +y
return
end function f

this program correctly returns "f(x) is 11.". But I'm sure that this constant opening and closing of data files is inefficient, there must be a better way of doing it? Thanks everyone :D
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
gsal
Apr15-12, 05:56 PM
P: 873
Well...I don't quite get what you REALLY are trying to achieve...why can't you just pass x AND y to the function f? ...just declare the function f to take two parameters and return one...nothing wrong with that.

Other than that, you could use common block (up to fortran 77 style) to set y before you start calling the function with just x; or, you could go the module/use route (fortran 90 forward style). These two methods allow the function and the main program to share values without having to pass them around as arguments/parameters.
AlephZero
Apr15-12, 08:23 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,957
Quote Quote by gsal View Post
Well...I don't quite get what you REALLY are trying to achieve...why can't you just pass x AND y to the function f? ...just declare the function f to take two parameters and return one...nothing wrong with that.
That won't work, because the OP has some existing code (which presumably can't be changed) that called f() as a function with one variable.

The way to do this in fortran 77 is use a common block, something like

function f(x)
common/fcom/y
g(x,y)
end

program main
common/fcom/y
y = 2.0
f(x)
y = 3.0
f(x)
end
I expect you can acheive the same effect in Fortran 90 without using COMMON, but with far more typing

Register to reply