Questions for a Mechanical Engineer from a High School Student

In summary, the person is a high school student looking for someone to answer questions about the career field of mechanical engineering for an assignment. They are asking for someone to answer their questions through a private message and are grateful for any help. The questions asked include the daily duties of a mechanical engineer, the required education, typical work week, advice for aspiring mechanical engineers, lessons learned on the job, recommended classes, average salary after 5 years, reasons for choosing this career, job benefits, and recommended resources for further education. The thread is then closed due to privacy and anti-phishing concerns.
Datsyukian13
Hello,

I am a high school student and am trying to complete an assignment to interview someone in a career field I am interested in - mechanical engineering.

Would anyone be willing to answer these questions for me? A PM would be fine if you can. I really appreciate it!

What are your day to day duties on the job?

What kind of education did you receive to become a mechanical engineer?

How long is an average work week on the job?

What’s your best advice for someone who wants to become a mechanical engineer?

What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned on the job?

What type of classes do you recommend a student takes for the job?

What is the average annual salary for a mechanical engineer after about 5 years on the job?

Why did you decide to become a mechanical engineer?

What are some of the benefits that come with the job?

Can you recommend any good reading materials or websites that can further educate me on this career choice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

For privacy and anti-phishing reasons, we no longer allow interview-type threads at the PF. Thread is closed.

1. What is the role of a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer designs, develops, and tests mechanical and thermal devices, including tools, engines, and machines. They use math and science to solve problems and create solutions to improve products and processes.

2. What skills are important for a mechanical engineer to have?

Some important skills for a mechanical engineer include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. They should also have knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and be able to work well in a team.

3. What type of education is needed to become a mechanical engineer?

Most mechanical engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some may choose to pursue a master's degree or even a PhD for more advanced positions. In high school, it's important to take math and science courses to prepare for a degree in mechanical engineering.

4. What are some common industries where mechanical engineers work?

Mechanical engineers work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, energy, and healthcare. They can also work in consulting firms, research and development facilities, and government agencies.

5. How does a mechanical engineer contribute to society?

Mechanical engineers play a crucial role in designing and improving products and systems that make our lives easier and more efficient. They help to develop new technologies and improve existing ones, such as renewable energy sources and medical equipment. They also ensure that products and processes are safe and environmentally friendly.