Register to reply

Is it possible for a long hair to having heavy weight?

by Munyit
Tags: hair, heavy, weight
Share this thread:
Munyit
Apr16-12, 12:40 AM
P: 29
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/tr...ies-at-79.html

The man is reported to have the longest hair in the world, they claimed that his hair was measured at 6.8 meters long but never been measured officially. But what I'm skeptical about this was his hair reported to weighed around 10.5 kg. Maybe this is a kind of fake or something alike. But if it indeed real, I think the weight don't come from the hair but maybe because of something in the hair, or perhaps the hair become so matted with other things that make his hair heavy.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
aroc91
Apr16-12, 01:14 PM
P: 166
Of course it's matted with dirt and oils and other things. Look at it. I don't doubt for a second all that weighs 10.5 kg. Clean hair alone that length would weigh about 1.4 kg (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27176.asp), but his is a lot thicker and dirtier for sure.
Munyit
Apr16-12, 06:32 PM
Quote Quote by aroc91 View Post
Of course it's matted with dirt and oils and other things. Look at it. I don't doubt for a second all that weighs 10.5 kg. Clean hair alone that length would weigh about 1.4 kg (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27176.asp), but his is a lot thicker and dirtier for sure.
Long hair weigh about 1.4 kg? I think even longer hair will have much less weight than that. Actually it's said weigh about 1/4 of a pound, about 113 grams only. But Tran Van Hay's hair really make me feel strange because it having weight at 10.5 kg, but I still think this is just an estimation. Yeah right the weight must be come from the dirt, oils and many other things that become matted with his hair.

aroc91
Apr17-12, 12:00 PM
P: 166
Is it possible for a long hair to having heavy weight?

You must have missed what I did... I extrapolated the mass based on that woman's hair's approximate length (0.5 m) and the mass she gave.
Munyit
Apr18-12, 03:48 AM
Quote Quote by aroc91 View Post
You must have missed what I did... I extrapolated the mass based on that woman's hair's approximate length (0.5 m) and the mass she gave.
I see, so actually you're gonna saying that 7 meter clean hair weigh at 1.4 kg? I think maybe that's the plausible weight for such a long hair.
MathematicalPhysicist
Apr18-12, 11:08 PM
P: 3,243
His wife seems to have shorter hair than average for women. :-D LOL
Mépris
Apr19-12, 01:49 AM
P: 830
He does not look like a particularly strong man. I find it amazing that he can carry that much weight around all day. Even when cycling and all that is keeping the hair together on top of his head is a piece of cloth.
The Elite
May20-12, 06:18 AM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Mépris View Post
He does not look like a particularly strong man. I find it amazing that he can carry that much weight around all day. Even when cycling and all that is keeping the hair together on top of his head is a piece of cloth.
I've got to agree right there. When I saw the photos I was quite surprised, he made it look easy. Carrying 10kg extra on your head is not something easy, and he looked to be a man of a weaker stature than most.

Register to reply