Understanding air particle velocity as cross product freq x disp

by The_Lobster
Tags: cross product, math, particle velocity, sound
The_Lobster
Apr17-12, 05:20 AM
P: 30
I'm reading a book on microphones and came across the following:

The relation between air particle velocity (u) and particle displacement (x) is given by:
[itex]u(t) = j\omega \times x(t)[/itex]

where [itex] \omega = 2\pi f[/itex] and [itex] x(t) [/itex] is the maximum particle displacement value.
and then it goes off talking about something else...

I feel stupid for asking this, but I don't get how the above equation works? For one, I thought cross products could only be be involving vectors? Aren't all the terms above scalars? Should I treat it as a dot product?

Any help in understanding the above, so I can see how the terms affect each other is greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
AlephZero
Apr17-12, 05:55 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,385
I don't think it is a cross product. It looks like the standard equation for velocity of a particle moving in simple harmonic motion.

I don't know why the book used ##\times## as a multiplication sign here.
The_Lobster
Apr17-12, 05:59 AM
Thanks, AlephZero! Typical of me getting thrown off by poor notation...

The_Lobster
Apr17-12, 06:06 AM

Understanding air particle velocity as cross product freq x disp

AlephZero: Are you saying that that equation is pretty much: [itex] v = - A\omega \sin \omega t [/itex]? Does that mean I can consider the "maximum particle displacement" in the first equation, as the amplitude, A?

Register to reply