Gold and Titanium - can they react?

by Borg
Tags: gold, react, titanium
Share this thread:
Borg
Apr18-12, 06:38 AM
PF Gold
P: 771
A few weeks ago, I got a titanium crown next to a gold crown. Now I'm getting weird reactions in my mouth. I emailed my dentist and will consult with him of course (PF rules and all). I'm not trying to get advice on what to do but I am wondering if it's possible from a periodic table view whether I may have a small battery in my mouth. Borek?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
Dadface
Apr18-12, 07:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
A few weeks ago, I got a titanium crown next to a gold crown. Now I'm getting weird reactions in my mouth. I emailed my dentist and will consult with him of course (PF rules and all). I'm not trying to get advice on what to do but I am wondering if it's possible from a periodic table view whether I may have a small battery in my mouth. Borek?
That's interesting.I don't know the answer but perhaps you could try a few initial experiments such as feeling what reactions you experience with different liquids in your mouth such as dry (or as dry as you can manage), saliva and salt water.
A thought just popped into my head.If you do have a mouth battery you could use it to power some LEDS which you arrange to get implanted in your teeth.It can give you an even brighter smile.
Borek
Apr18-12, 10:27 AM
Admin
P: 23,600
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
While I would have problems explaining the mechanism, it doesn't sound impossible to me. At the time I had amalgam fillings in my molars I remember having similar reactions when I happened to chew a piece of alufoil.

Titanium is highly reactive, just like aluminum it is corrosion resistant because of the oxide passivation. That means there is no problem with the oxidation half cell, as the oxide - while definitely strong - can be scratched exposing the raw metal surface. I don't see what can be happening with the gold, but perhaps it just serves as the inert electrode and it is oxygen that gets reduced on the surface?

That's it, now I am afraid I should ban myself for speculation

Borg
Apr18-12, 02:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 771
Gold and Titanium - can they react?

Please don't ban yourself. I appreciate your insight. I wouldn't think that a dentist would put them together if there was a possible reaction but, you never know. I'llkeep your speculations in mind and see what the doc tells me. Thanks.

@Dadface. I'll have to give the salt water test a try. I'll pass on the LEDs though.

Register to reply