Would like suggestions for studying igneous rocks and radioactive decay

In summary, the person is interested in learning about geology, specifically the nature of igneous rocks and the process of radioactive decay in these rocks. They are seeking suggestions on where to start learning about these subjects. A good first year geology textbook is recommended for understanding igneous rock formations. The process of radioactive decay in mineral crystal lattice is more related to inorganic chemistry or physics and there may be texts available on the topic. Zircons, which contain trace amounts of uranium and thorium, can be dated using various analytical techniques and have been found to be the oldest minerals on Earth at 4.404 billion years old. The oxygen isotopic compositions of some zircons suggest the presence of water on Earth over 4
dmehling
I don't have much of a scientific background, but I am interested in learning about geology. More specifically I would like to study the nature of igneous rocks, particularly their formation through volcanic processes. I'm also very much interested in understanding how the process of radioactive decay occurs in these kinds of rocks. Can anyone give some suggestions on what I need to do to start learning about these subjects?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
A good First year Geology textbok should cover Igneous rock formations.
Looking at radioactive decay of the mineral crystal lattice is more of an inorganic chemistry or physics problem, but here should be texts out there on the topic.

hi there

something for you to look into and something I learned about in my geology studies at university
when looking at gneisses and granites ... a clip from wiki...

Radiometric dating of Zircon has played an important role during the evolution of radiometric dating. Zircons contain trace amounts of uranium and thorium (from 10 ppm up to 1 wt%) and can be dated using several modern analytical techniques. Because zircons can survive geologic processes like erosion, transport, even high-grade metamorphism, they contain a rich and varied record of geological processes. Currently, zircons are typically dated by uranium-lead (U-Pb), fission-track, and U+Th/He techniques.

Zircons from Jack Hills in the Narryer Gneiss Terrane, Yilgarn Craton, Western Australia, have yielded U-Pb ages up to 4.404 billion years,[10] interpreted to be the age of crystallization, making them the oldest minerals so far dated on Earth. In addition, the oxygen isotopic compositions of some of these zircons have been interpreted to indicate that more than 4.4 billion years ago there was already water on the surface of the Earth.[10][11] This interpretation is supported by additional trace element data,[12][13] but is also the subject of debate.[14][15]

cheers
Dave

1. What are igneous rocks and how are they formed?

Igneous rocks are formed when molten rock, or magma, cools and solidifies. This can happen either above ground, as lava cools on the Earth's surface, or below ground as magma cools in the Earth's crust. The rate of cooling and the composition of the magma determine the type of igneous rock that is formed.

2. How can I identify different types of igneous rocks?

The appearance and texture of igneous rocks can vary greatly depending on their composition and cooling rate. Some common characteristics to look for include crystal size, color, and the presence of air bubbles or visible minerals. It can also be helpful to use a hand lens or microscope to examine the rock more closely.

3. What tools and equipment do I need for studying igneous rocks?

Some basic tools for studying igneous rocks include a hammer, hand lens, and a field notebook. For more detailed analysis, you may also need a microscope, petrographic thin sections, and chemical analysis equipment.

4. How does radioactive decay affect igneous rocks?

Igneous rocks can contain radioactive elements, such as uranium and potassium, which undergo radioactive decay over time. This can change the composition and structure of the rock, and can also be used to determine the age of the rock through radiometric dating techniques.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning more about igneous rocks and radioactive decay?

Some recommended resources for studying igneous rocks and radioactive decay include textbooks, scientific articles, and online resources from reputable organizations such as the United States Geological Survey (USGS) and the Geological Society of America (GSA). Additionally, joining a local rockhounding club or attending geology lectures and workshops can provide valuable hands-on learning opportunities.