what are quarks ?

by abhishek002
Tags: quarks
abhishek002
Apr19-12, 04:01 AM
P: 4
i have heard that there are different types of quarks. what are they?
and i would be thankfull for a breif explanation.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
mfb
Apr19-12, 07:06 AM
Mentor
P: 10,798
For a general introduction, you might be interested in the wikipedia article or a lecture about particle physics for a more detailed explanation.
A forum is good for specific questions, not for an introduction in broad topics like this.
CloudChamber
Apr23-12, 02:38 PM
P: 30
Quarks are subatomic particles. They are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, and thus matter in general. They are classified as fermions and carry color charge, mediated by gluons (which are actually bosons) and thus strong force. There are many types, called flavors: strange, charm, up, down, top and bottom.

Whovian
Apr23-12, 02:42 PM
P: 642

what are quarks ?

Quote Quote by CloudChamber View Post
They are classified as bosons.
No. Bosons are the force carriers, or, equivalently, those with integer spin. (At least, all force carriers we know about are bosons and vice versa.) Quarks have spin 1/2, and are thus fermions.
CloudChamber
Apr23-12, 03:56 PM
P: 30
Oh, of course! Sorry, I was rushing to write this. I see I also spelled neutron "nuetron." Thanks for pointing out my error, I'll edit the post.
daveb
Apr24-12, 08:22 AM
P: 927
I'm personally a fan of this site.

Register to reply