Decoherence time scale

by gioialorusso
Tags: decoherence times, photons, qubit, spin
gioialorusso
Apr23-12, 06:29 AM
P: 9
Hi everybody,
I've searched all the internet but I can't find the answer to my question. Which are times of decoherence for different physical realization of a qubit? Like, if I use photons, or spin electron, or nuclei, or ion trap, to encode a qubit, which are times of decoherence for each?
Thank you for now,
Gioia
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
f95toli
Apr23-12, 06:54 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,197
It can be everything from the order of 1 fs to 1 s.
The time does not only depend on the system used, but also how it is implemented and probed so it is difficult to give any generic answers.
gioialorusso
Apr24-12, 03:56 AM
yeah, i know it, but i have really to give some numbers for each particle, and I don't know where to find them... Hope someone has some estimation about the question. thanks for now.

f95toli
Apr24-12, 04:37 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,197

Decoherence time scale

You just have to look up the relevant papers. Things move fast in this field, so what was "state of the art" a few years ago is already dated (i.e. don't bother looking in books).

Just to give you an example: superconducting qubits (which is what I am most familiar with) have gone from having a coherence time of about 10 ns to at least 10 us in just over ten years, and there has been almost one order of magnitude improvement just in the past few years due to improved sample design.
gioialorusso
Apr24-12, 04:44 AM
I'll try to search better about optical quantum computation and ion traps. :)

Register to reply