Rotation, friction and size (mass/radius?)

by DaceDace
Tags: friction, mass or radius, rotation, size
DaceDace
Apr24-12, 07:26 AM
P: 1
Basically, I am looking to create a simple physics game in flash for my game design course called "spin the banana" where the player sets the force which is then applied to the banana (imagining the banana is just a disk-shaped object to keep it simple) taking into account the friction and the size of the banana (radius of the disk?).

I'm competent with numbers when given an equation to work with so I just need an equation or set of equations to help me work out the rotation of a spinning object using the friction, size of object and force (and anything else I may need to add in to complete the equations).

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
mfb
Apr24-12, 09:12 AM
Mentor
P: 10,864
Friction between what and what?
Force between what and what, applied where and how long?

If your banana slides on some solid surface (similar to curling), friction can be calculated with the mass, g and a dimensionless constant of the friction. For the momentum, just multiply that stuff, for torque, it might need an integration over the surface of the disk (which has to be done once, afterwards you get some parameter which you can use).

Register to reply