Energy of spinning objects as axis of rotation moves

Trollfaz
Imagine an object, e.g throwing knife, spins in the air but not forced to rotate about a particular axis, i.e no rod impaling it and forcing it to spin about the rod. Then the axis of rotation converges to it's center of mass (CM) to minimize I. But there's nowhere for it's rotation energy to go assuming no resistive forces of the medium.
$$E=\frac{1}{2} I \omega^2= k$$
Both I and ##\omega## are functions of t and
##\frac{dI}{dt}<0##
So angular velocity increases?
$$\frac{dE}{dt}=\frac{dI}{dt}\omega^2+ 2I\omega\frac{d\omega}{dt}=0$$
$$\frac{d\omega}{dt}=-\frac{dI}{dt}\omega^2/2I\omega>0$$
And if we know the rate of change of I we can solve this differential equation to find how angular velocity evolves

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for the energy only describes the rotational energy of the body around the given axis but not the translational energy of the body as a whole. It's most simple to choose the center of mass as the body-fixed reference point. Then the total kinetic energy of the rigid body reads
$$E_{\text{kin}}=T=\frac{M}{2} \dot{\vec{R}}^2 + \frac{1}{2} \vec{\omega} \hat{\Theta} \vec{\omega},$$
where ##M## is the total mass and ##\hat{\Theta}## is the tensor of inertia around the center of mass of the body.

Likes Trollfaz

What is the energy of spinning objects as the axis of rotation moves?

The energy of spinning objects as the axis of rotation moves is known as rotational kinetic energy. This energy is dependent on the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

How does the energy of spinning objects change as the axis of rotation moves?

As the axis of rotation moves, the rotational kinetic energy of the spinning object may increase or decrease depending on how the moment of inertia and angular velocity change. If the moment of inertia decreases or the angular velocity increases, the rotational kinetic energy will increase.

What factors affect the energy of spinning objects as the axis of rotation moves?

The energy of spinning objects as the axis of rotation moves is primarily affected by changes in the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object. Other factors such as external forces or torques may also influence the energy of the spinning object.

Can the energy of spinning objects be conserved as the axis of rotation moves?

Yes, the energy of spinning objects can be conserved as the axis of rotation moves if there are no external forces or torques acting on the object. In this case, the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) of the spinning object remains constant.

How is the energy of spinning objects related to the axis of rotation movement in terms of physics principles?

The energy of spinning objects as the axis of rotation moves is governed by the principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum. These principles dictate how the energy of the spinning object changes as the axis of rotation moves and how external forces or torques may affect this energy.