Simple Harmonic Motion on a moving platform

by chrisy2012
Tags: harmonic, motion, moving, platform, simple
chrisy2012
Apr25-12, 03:26 PM
P: 17
I had my physics midterm today and I totally blanked out. I want to know how to solve it for next time.

So In the picture, there are two springs connected to the mass on a platform.
a) if the platform is at rest, find the angular frequency

the expression for angular frequency is :ω=√(k/m), so I just added the two k's and plugged it into k and got :ω=√((k1+k2)/m). Is this correct?

b)The platform then started to move in SHM with the equation d(t)=D*cos10∏t. We had to find the amplitude of mass M. This is where I tripped up and don't know how to solve it. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
1b 2a.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
tiny-tim
Apr25-12, 03:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi chrisy2012!
Quote Quote by chrisy2012 View Post
the expression for angular frequency is :ω=√(k/m), so I just added the two k's and plugged it into k and got :ω=√((k1+k2)/m). Is this correct?
maybe!
how would you prove it?
b)The platform then started to move in SHM with the equation d(t)=D*cos10∏t.
find the positions of the two endpoints as functions of t, and that will help you find the distances to multiply by the spring constants

Register to reply