Simple Harmonic Motion: conceptual idea of angular frequency

But if you are interested in the details, I wrote something here about it a while back.In summary, Simple Harmonic Motion can be distinguished from other harmonic motions by the relationship a∝x, where x is the displacement from the point that acceleration is directed towards. This relationship involves a constant of proportionality, ω2, which is known as the angular frequency. While ω is typically associated with angular displacement, it also plays a role in SHM on a frictionless surface, where the trajectory is an ellipse and one cycle takes 2π/ω units of time. This is due to the fact that the nature of the oscillation is independent of the angular displacement and the angle in angular frequency concerns the phase of the oscill
nehamalcom
One of the conditions to distinguish Simple Harmonic Motion from other harmonic motions is by the relation that

a∝x

where x is the displacement from the point that acceleration is directed towards​
But what confuses me is the constant of proportionality introduced to this relation: ω2

ω is angular frequency which seems relevant when there is actual angular displacement as in the case of a SHM observing pendulum; but what about a block connected to a spring observing SHM on a frictionless surface? How are we associating ω2 here?

I need to know the actual concept of having angular frequency in SHM.

[Mentors' note: this post has been edited to correct some formatting problems]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello nehamal, :welcome:,

In the phase plane (##x## horizontal, ##\dot x## -- i.e. ##dx\over dt## -- vertical ) the trajectory is an ellipse and one cycle takes ##2\pi\over \omega## units of time. Divide the abscissa by ##\omega## and you get a circular trajectory.

Does that answer your question ?

nehamalcom said:
when there is actual angular displacement
That's displacement angle not the angle that's considered in SHM. In fact the nature of the oscillation is independent of that angle (for small displacements). The 'Angle' in 'Angular Frequency" concerns the Phase of the oscillation or the fraction of the cycles of oscillation And ω is the number of radians of phase per second.
If the time period of the oscillation is T (in seconds), then the frequency f is the number of times it oscillates in 1s
So f = i/T
and, as there are 2π radians in one cycle, we use ω where ω = f/2π
EDIT: I was writing with my head up my backside last night : New version: For annoying Mathematical reasons we don't tend to use f when doing the Maths of oscillations because of what happens when you differentiate Sin(x) when x is in degrees. It gives you 180Cos(x)/π. But differentiation Sin(y), when y is in radians, gives Cos(y)There's a lot of Calculus associated with SHM and if you do a lot of that operation, you can end up with a lot of odd 2π's littered about the page. If you use ω instead (where ω = 2πf because there are 2π radians of phase in one cycle) then differentiating Sin(ωt) just gives ωCos (ωt) with no odd extra constants outside the brackets. WHY BOTHER? you may ask but it seriously is worth while when you get beyond the very basics of oscillations.
For starters it it best to try to just go along with this. This link shows you how it's done.

Last edited:
Likes nehamalcom

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line with a constant amplitude and a specific frequency. This type of motion is commonly seen in systems that have a restoring force, such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum.

2. What is the concept of angular frequency in SHM?

Angular frequency is a measure of the rate at which an object in SHM rotates or oscillates about a given point. It is represented by the symbol ω and is measured in radians per second. The angular frequency is directly related to the frequency and period of the motion, with a higher angular frequency indicating a faster rate of rotation or oscillation.

3. How is angular frequency related to the spring constant and mass in a mass-spring system?

In a mass-spring system, the angular frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant (k) divided by the mass (m). This relationship can be represented by the equation ω = √(k/m). In other words, an increase in the spring constant or a decrease in the mass will result in a higher angular frequency.

4. What is the difference between angular frequency and angular velocity?

Angular frequency and angular velocity are often confused, but they are two different concepts. Angular frequency is a measure of the rate of rotation or oscillation, while angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of the angle of rotation. In other words, angular frequency is a scalar quantity, while angular velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

5. How is SHM related to simple circular motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion and simple circular motion are closely related. In fact, SHM can be thought of as a projection of circular motion onto a straight line. This is because the displacement of an object in SHM can be described by a sine or cosine function, which is also used to describe the position of an object moving in a circle. Additionally, the angular frequency in SHM is equivalent to the angular velocity in circular motion.