Register to reply

Interesting question from AP student

by Drew boxer
Tags: interesting, student
Share this thread:
Drew boxer
Apr25-12, 02:03 PM
P: 1
I'm a physics teacher and one of my AP students posed the following question: "if there was a steel bar 2 light years long and you moved it forward a couple inches, would the other end move forward a couple inches immediately or would there be a delay?". We'd been discussing electric fields, so that got him thinking. I thought it was interesting and wondered how others would have answered.

Thanks,
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Khashishi
Apr25-12, 02:15 PM
P: 901
There would be a delay. The movement would propagate down the bar at the speed of sound in the bar, which is [itex]\sqrt{Y/\rho}[/itex], square root of Young's modulus over density.
ZxcvbnM2000
Apr25-12, 02:48 PM
P: 64
Quote Quote by Khashishi View Post
There would be a delay. The movement would propagate down the bar at the speed of sound in the bar, which is [itex]\sqrt{Y/\rho}[/itex], square root of Young's modulus over density.
So if what you say is true then the bar would be a couple of inches shorter for a little while ? I fail to understand how that can happen :S

Khashishi
Apr25-12, 03:06 PM
P: 901
Interesting question from AP student

It's not surprising that the length of the bar will change. If you strike a bar, it will compress a little and send a compression wave down the bar. It's no different if you move it gently--the compression wave is just much smaller in amplitude.
Travis_King
Apr25-12, 03:37 PM
P: 851
Not to mention the inertia of a 2 lightyear long steel bar!

Register to reply